Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Thyroid antibodies in my blood - anyone any experience of this?

(3 Posts)
flier Wed 14-Oct-09 15:27:06

I went to my GP as I had a lump in the side of my neck. He did lots of tests, sent me for a chest x ray and also referred me to ENT. All test came back fine apart from the fact that I tested positive for thyroid antibodies. My GP has told me that I may not need treatment for perhaps a year but I feel already that I ave symptoms - mild depression, mental fatigue, tired all the time, cold all the time.
Just wondered if anyone else had experience of this, how soon should I leave it before asking for more blood tests or should I just try to put it out of my mind for a year?

Geocentric Thu 15-Oct-09 02:07:16

I tested positive for antibodies (Hashimoto's thyroidism) about 2 or 3 years before I started meds. Tested yearly after that, so that sounds pretty normal. The antibodies signal you'll need the meds eventually, but your thyroid is still producing adequate amounts of hormones for now.

flier Thu 15-Oct-09 09:02:04

thanks geocentric. I'll sit tight

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now