Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Swollen gums, sore lump on tongue - any ideas?

(10 Posts)
dimbo Wed 14-Oct-09 09:01:01

I had a patch of the roof of my mouth (behind my front teeth) which swelled up a few days ago, then after a while the swelling started to come down but it got sore. I've still got that, a bit.

Then last night a hard lump came up at the back of my tongue about the size of a pea, it's sore but not sharply sore like a mouth ulcer.

Any clue as to what it could be? I'm pregnant, if that's relevant. And I have an as yet untreated tooth abcess. Tia.

dimbo Wed 14-Oct-09 09:19:19

bump

jasper Wed 14-Oct-09 09:20:32

please go to your dentist about this

dimbo Wed 14-Oct-09 09:27:01

I don't have one yet, I can't afford to to go until I get my maternity exemption certificate. I was wondering if it was worth going to the doctors about as I seem to be there every five minutes at the moment!

dimbo Wed 14-Oct-09 09:29:42

By the way, now there's two bumps on my tongue (one smaller). Very odd, think I'll make an appointment.

jasper Wed 14-Oct-09 09:56:43

you should not need to show your certificate.
How big is the biggest lump ( in mm) and where is it exactly?

Is your abscess on the top tooth second from front?

jasper Wed 14-Oct-09 10:03:06

is this it?

If so it is perfectly normal

dimbo Wed 14-Oct-09 10:21:48

I think if you don't have your certificate they make you pay and then claim back a refund, but I really can't afford the appointment right now. The abscess belongs to a broken side tooth at the top, which I will get sorted as soon as I'm exempt, and after the first trimester when I can take antibiotics.

The biggest lump is maybe 7 or so mm across and at the back of my tongue. It's just come up, it definitely wasn't there before as isn't an irritated, I know that you have lumps and bumps on your tongue but it's not them.

What I do have is chronic cold sores, horrible as it is I think it's possible they may be cold sores inside my mouth.

My immune system is wrecked at the moment, I've been really ill. I have made a doctors appointment anyway so hopefully they can diagnose me.

dimbo Wed 14-Oct-09 10:23:01

sorry, the above should have read "it definitely wasn't there before and it isn't an irritated tastebud"

jasper Wed 14-Oct-09 13:53:40

Good grief that is a bit strict. At our practice we don't even ask to see maternity certificates.
Is the lump perfectly round and how much is it raised?

Did you see my question about the abscess?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now