Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

School or stay home?

(17 Posts)
Hulababy Mon 12-Oct-09 20:57:43

Symptoms:

slightly raised temp
sore throat (voice keeps coming and going)
sore ear at one side
cough
a bit sniffly, not much though
headache (requiring painkillers)

What do you reckon - school tomorrow or day at home in hope of improving?

Littlefish Mon 12-Oct-09 21:01:46

I would say a day at home. I don't think I would want to go to work feeling like that.

Hulababy Mon 12-Oct-09 21:21:57

Thanks. Kind of my feeling, but will wait and see in the morning I guess.

LIZS Mon 12-Oct-09 21:27:15

hmm . I'd still go in until it decided one way or the other

Hulababy Mon 12-Oct-09 21:32:15

I went in today and gee, was my throat and ear bad. Talking in the class does nothing for a sore throat where one's voice keeps breaking that;'s for sure.

But then I think - well, it is only half a day, so can I manage til linuch then come home and collapse - like today.

Been feeling ill on and off for weeks now. Infact have had so many bigs and infections since starting in January it is untrue.

I will no doubt go in. But I don't half ache!

DH has brought my something very strong and <<<eek>>> tasting, alleging it'll do my throat good. Ha! Not so sure on that. Reckon he just wanted it for himself, lol. Cup of tea would be preferrable I reckon.

Lapsedrunner Mon 12-Oct-09 21:33:49

As I don't do "ill" I'd probably go in.

Lapsedrunner Mon 12-Oct-09 21:35:35

Tonsillitis?

Hulababy Mon 12-Oct-09 21:42:55

Had had two ear infections since May, but not sure it is that.

It is my throat that hurts most right now. Ear is sore but not as bad as it was with the infections.

Lapsedrunner - why don't you do ill? I used tot hinkt hat til I had to have an awful lot of time off due to an ongoing medical complaint, followed by two ops and lenghy after op treatment. I realised then, esp when suffering from near depression, that work is not not a priority when compared to your health. Also - you get no thanks for keeping going in the end. Sometimes you have to put yourself first.

However, in this case I will most likely be in in the morning. I end to keep going til someone in authority tells me to go home, lol! I need a sick note from my mum; might make me feel better, lol.

Katz Mon 12-Oct-09 21:47:16

hula - hope you're feeling better soon, I got DH some really good sore throat pastels, they're from behind the counter and look a bit like fizzy sweets but boy they're good, they contain a local anaesthic and antibiotic.

janeite Mon 12-Oct-09 21:47:58

It's so hard to decide, isn't it?

I tend to drag myself in - sometimes I feel better once I'm teaching; sometimes I get told to bugger off home - until I get there and try, it's really hard to predict which way I'll feel.

I've spent today dosed up on painkillers and felt dreadful when I got home but I've got a lighter day tomorrow, so I'll go in and see how it goes. Actually, other than the tickly throat and the sneezes and sniffles, I'm feeling a bit better at the mo.

Hope you feel better soon.

Hulababy Mon 12-Oct-09 21:51:20

Thanks Katz - will have a look; have some antisceptic type ones but not doing much yet.

Katz Mon 12-Oct-09 21:54:55

can send DH round with them! they're boots own brand and are like a pressed powder rather than a boiled sweet, i used them as a teenager as i suffered really badly from sore throats and they really knock out the pain. Dh was really impressed with them when he had the flu in the summer. The only thing he wasn't impressed with is that they're rationed and they didn't quite last long enough.

Hulababy Mon 12-Oct-09 22:06:02

Will call in the Boots next to school in morning and ask about them. Thanks.

desertmum Tue 13-Oct-09 11:20:00

I find boiling water with a splosh of apple cider vinegar helps sore throats and colds - taste absolutely ghastly, but is great. Also incredibly good for upset stomachs.

Hope you feel better soon

Katz Tue 13-Oct-09 12:31:13

feeling any better?

Hulababy Tue 13-Oct-09 13:02:30

Just tired and achey. Throat feels very sore and croaky and headache still here. Ear sore too. But no longer sniffly so not got a cold I don't think.

Went to work and now home for afternoon, so doing nothing

Katz Tue 13-Oct-09 22:12:09

hope your afternoon helped you feel better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now