Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Weight loss medication, seeing GP this week, any experience?

(24 Posts)
Chubbster Sun 11-Oct-09 21:20:12

I am 15 and a half stone and despite trying several different diets - Cambridge, WW, SW, Atkins and going to the gym I am shit at losing weight.

I am so depressed and really want some help. I don't want to go on Alli or whatever it is called. Are there any other options that can help me on my way?

Oh and please no flaming, just because I am fat doesn't make me thick, I know the basic rule of less in and more exercise but if it were that simple I wouldn't be posting!

worley Sun 11-Oct-09 21:25:25

why do you not want to try alli?
what other medications are there? (curious, as i dont know about these things, havnt researched them) i have been on alli for a couple of weeks and seem to be getting on well with it, a colleague from work took alli and lost over 5 stone with the aid of them which is why im giving them a go.

Earlybird Sun 11-Oct-09 21:29:36

A friend is doing this. She is a bit surprised to realise that she still has to watch what she eats, and is expected to exercise regularly. It is not as simple as 'pop a pill and the weight drops off'. Will power, discipline and restraint is still required....

Chubbster Sun 11-Oct-09 21:35:17

I don't know what other medications there are, if indeed there are any at all, just wondering really. I was thinking possibly appetite suppressants?

I suffer from very bad IBS and my gastro consultant advised against using Alli and I don't really like the idea of it.

Earlybird Sun 11-Oct-09 21:38:53

I think there are appetite suppressants, and also things that boost metabolism. I've always wondered though if it then messes up your system when you stop taking the pills.

nancy75 Sun 11-Oct-09 21:48:07

the other thing that gps prescribe is reductil this tells you about the 2 medicines your gp can offer
www.weightlossresources.co.uk/slimming/pills_review/xenical_reductil.htm

Chubbster Sun 11-Oct-09 21:48:56

I just want something that puts me off food for a while, just need to break my relationship with food iyswim. Will go in and explain the situation and see what GP says.

Sidge Sun 11-Oct-09 21:50:28

There are two main weight loss medications - xenical, or Orlistat is the 'stronger' prescription only version of Alli. It binds fat so preventing it's absorption and if you don't follow a very low fat diet it can cause oily diarrhoea which can leak from the rectum.

The other one is sibutramine, or Reductil, which acts on the brain to reduce appetite. It can have some serious side effects so you have to be regularly monitored by the GP or practice nurse.

Chubbster Sun 11-Oct-09 21:56:48

Thank you Sidge.

AuntieMaggie Sun 11-Oct-09 21:59:14

If you can go back to SW I would recommend it as a better way of losing weight as you'll develop a better way of eating instead of relying on a diet aid.

Talk to your GP and see what he says - perhaps some counselling may help?

Ewe Sun 11-Oct-09 22:05:13

Message withdrawn

Chubbster Sun 11-Oct-09 22:08:26

So much for namechange!

SpankyBum Sun 11-Oct-09 22:12:40

wink

BloodshotEyeballs Sun 11-Oct-09 22:17:54

I'm seeing my GP about losing weight as well. I have just started Rosemary Conley classes as part of a referral scheme in our PCT. I have asked the doctor to monitor me as well so we have agreed that I should present myself to her every few weeks to be weighed which suits me fine. She did mention medication but I didn't really want to go down that road unless I really really have to. Besides, she said there is only one type I could take as I'm on anti Ds as well. I also know what I should be doing but you're right, it really isn't that simple.

Good luck for whatever route you take.

BloodshotEyeballs Sun 11-Oct-09 22:21:51

LOL We're the same PCT then aren't we?

SpankyBum Sun 11-Oct-09 22:28:44

My GP catergorically told me she does not believe in dietary medication.
I've got a 10 week "personal trainer" referal to the local gym. It's goo fun actually.
Used to do R.Con but gave up all that jigging about when pg with DS2. Just never got back into it.

BloodshotEyeballs Sun 11-Oct-09 22:37:04

I'd love to join a gym, wish I could get a referral to one. Conley worked for me before and we had quite a laugh. I just have to get back into it.

FiveGoMadonTheDanceFloor Sun 11-Oct-09 22:38:46

I tried the recuctil one but have done much beter on WW.

DippyFarquhar Sun 11-Oct-09 22:49:59

I feel the same way as you Chubbster, I would love to take something that would stop me from wanting to eat so much.

I lost 2 1/2 stone last year by cutting out all sweet/junk food but I've ended up putting 2 stone back on I hit a plateau and instead of working through it I started eating more and because I didn't put the weight back on straight away I thought I could get away with it. Wrong!! Now I can't muster up the motivation to start again.

I just can't sustain not eating the things I love but find it hard to eat them in moderation. It's all or nothing for me.

I'll be interested to hear how it goes with your GP. I think I might need some outside help myself.

ThingOneofYourNightmares Tue 13-Oct-09 18:29:02

Have you talked about your eating patterns with your GP? Is it something that CBT might help with? As you say, it's one thing understanding you need to put less in and do more exercise and quite another managing to put it into practice long term. It's your mind you need to change really. Once you can do this you can stick to a healthy eating plan and gradually get back to a sensible weight.

Or Paul McKenna? I don't think what he says is rocket science but it sounds as if he has a way of putting it that enables you to act on it.

jetonthedancefloor Tue 13-Oct-09 18:41:19

Hi Chubbster

I am taking Xenical, and have been since 1st July. Have lost nearly 3 stone since then, with relatively little side effects - no mad dash to toilets etcgrin It is still hard work though, as i have to monitor fat content very carefully, and go back to GP every 4 weeks for weigh ins - if i havent lost any weight i dont get any more!

He did mention Reductil as well, but that has more serious side effects, especially if, like me, you have existing blood pressure issues.

I think i also would have liked to lose the weight with will power alone, but sadly, i just cant manage it. I have an underactive thyroid, and for most of my life people have told me that it would be nearly impossible to lose weight. I finally decided to do something about it, and so glad i did!!

My GP also does the exercise referral, which is a great scheme. Due to lack of childcare, i couldnt take up the offer, so am doing exercise when i can - and find that makes all the difference!

Good luck with the chat with your GP, and i hope it all works out well for yousmile

I went and asked the GP about Xenical/Reductil and even though my BMI was 30 he said no. I didn't get any support, referral to weightloss group, etc. He just told me to eat less. I pointed out I've spent 2 years trying to eat less and its got me nowhere. hmm

Anyway I've joined SW and have managed to lose 7lbs. I've only done online weightloss groups before but this time have joined a real group. Foe me its made a big difference. The thought of the shame of gaining stops me snacking!

jetonthedancefloor Tue 13-Oct-09 18:47:08

Stripey - its the thought of the xenical side effects that stops me snackinggrin

Congrats on your losssmile

AuntieMaggie Wed 14-Oct-09 12:19:06

Stripey come join us over here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now