Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Dad v poorly and wants me to find him an adjustable bed

(7 Posts)
mummysaurus Sun 11-Oct-09 11:28:39

My dad is v poorly and has just got out of hospital(for now). It's cancer and he'll need treatment sad. He's got bad reflux and wants an adjustable bed. There are loads of companies of the internet but I don't know about the quality. He wants a small double - about 3' 6" and would be prepared to spend a bit of money on it. It's a proper bed he's after not a hospital style bed btw.

I'd be grateful if anyone can either recommend a brand or has any advice on what to look for and what to avoid.

Thanks in advance

ThingOneofYourNightmares Sun 11-Oct-09 11:30:46

Somewhere near you there will be a shops selling things for older/ill people, like this one. Go to them and ask for help. I'd also ask the district nurses if they have any experience to share.

nellie12 Sun 11-Oct-09 11:41:55

Are you under the district nurses? If not ring them and explain the situation and ask for an assessment. They have access to community stores for medical equipment and may be able to supply you with adaptations or hospital bed depending on your dads condition.

you can get through by ringing your dads gp surgery and asking for the number or to be put through but please dont spend out until you've been assessed.

Also macmillan nurses have a fund for expenses that are incurred which the dns should be able to tell you about. hth

mummysaurus Sun 11-Oct-09 11:42:16

Thanks TOYN

It's a good idea to ask district nurse.

I wasn't sure how tested the products are in these shops - unfortunately i know that older people often get taken advantage of so was hoping for a recommendation.

ipodtherforipoor Sun 11-Oct-09 15:58:52

be careful - if he's going to need carers to help in get in and out of bed - and to eventually care for him in bed, they will ask that he has a height ajustable bed - not just the sort that the profile changes.

It breaks my heart at work when someone has spent money on a peice of equipment that they then cant use.

As a temprary measure the OTs could lend a pillow elevator which would help the reflux.

Hospital type beds aren't pretty but some look better than others - you could always talk to the social services OT about a direct payment - my clients have done this and got the cost of a single paid to them and they have then topped it up to purchase one that they want.

Theraposture, Bakare ltd, and sleepbetta might help.

They are really expensie tbh, and I would try the pillow elevator or the standard bed available through the NHS or social services

alypaly Sun 11-Oct-09 16:51:29

you could buy a V shped pillow that they use for people who are in bed alot, as a temporary measure. They are really good and they are comfortable to sleep on. They keep the patient in the correct place,without them rolling.

lal123 Sun 11-Oct-09 16:54:10

Lots of areas have indiependant living centres which can give advice re equipment like beds - you can probably get their contact details from social services. If you go through social work you might find that he's entitled to help with the cost etc too.
Ipod gives good advice

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now