Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Aargh is this a migraine??

(11 Posts)
kitbite Sun 11-Oct-09 01:48:21

I've had a cracking headache all day, downone side of my head. It's making my eye really water on that side and usual painkillers aren't touching it. A lie down earlier helped but now it's back, and although I haven't been anywhere near actually being sick I did feel a bit queasy earlier and have had a bit of an upset tum this evening but I wondered if that was because I'd been taking painkillers all day. Does this sound anything like a migraine? Could that be what it is? I've had it once before I think, and it lasted about a day and a half. Off to try to sleep, thanks in advance for any thoughts
uurgh

kitbite Sun 11-Oct-09 10:36:52

Urgh still got it this morning, bumping in case anyone can advise? Thanks all

inveteratenamechanger Sun 11-Oct-09 10:38:52

Yes sounds like a migraine - poor you. Can you get somebody to go to Boots and get your some Immigran Recovery? That is the only thing that works for me.

Jajas Sun 11-Oct-09 10:41:35

Does light and sound seem unbearable to you kitbite? Migraines are awful but I think affect people in many different ways, I know I can be sick when I have one but do get just 'normal' headaches that can make me feel sick too. You are right all the painkillers could be upsetting your tummy as well.

Did you feel a bit peculiar before the headache/migraine started? I can only speak for my own experience, but whenever I have one I get this strange disjointed feeling from the world, sort of anxious and jittery everything feels a bit out of kilter and 9 times out of 10 a migraine will follow.

Can you lie down in the dark and quiet? I know that any sort of visual or auditory stimulation makes mine so much worse. I really feel for you and hope it wears off soon.

SanctimoniousTeeTotalPrig Sun 11-Oct-09 10:42:54

DH suffers terrible migraines and tried all sorts of pills until somebody recommended soluble aspirin to him. Hold each mouthful in your mouth for a few minutes and it will absorb through your cheeks and go straight to it. Sounds silly, but true and dh has knock you out, vomit a lot, crippling pain migraines. Well-timed aspirin is amazing.

Also heard that something fatty and flat coke is good for a migraine which it does sound like you are suffering from.

Jajas Sun 11-Oct-09 10:43:22

Syndol or Solpadeine works well for me as the codeine in it relaxes you ~ I get so wound up when I have one that the tension makes it worse. I know the dangers of recommending codeine as was on a thread last night discussing it so don't say it without thought.

alypaly Sun 11-Oct-09 16:58:27

if its affecting your eye ,have a look at trigeminal neuralgia as this is dreadfully painful and can cause pain around the eye too.

try a nice bath and put your head under the water to relax your neck and see if that helps,it used to help me when i used to get migraine or alternate warm and ice cold flannels on your forehead

MrsJiggle86 Sun 11-Oct-09 17:17:29

Everyone's migraines are different, my grandad was convinced nobody can get a headache with a migraine, he just had the bad eyes, my migraines make my eyes blur, i go numb, have a severe headache for days and vomit, alot! My mum had them at my age and was sent to hospital for a week as the doctors thought she had had a brain haemorrage, ??? spelling, smile hope you feel better soon

kitbite Sun 11-Oct-09 22:05:24

Been lying down nearly all day and just up now! Thanks so much for all the replies, quite relieved to know it does sound like a migraine, of course I was imagining all sorts...
I'm off to arm myself with all of your suggestions in case it happens again, for the moment it seems to be going thank goodness. Yes I did feel a bit "off" beforehand, maybe that's the clue to watch for in case there's a next time. Thanks for all your help x

Jajas Sun 11-Oct-09 22:10:07

Glad that you are feeling a bit better now kitbite, you will probably feel somewhat drained for the next day or so. Take it easy smile

kitbite Mon 12-Oct-09 10:42:20

Thanks Jajas, you're absolutely right I do feel sort of pathetic today, glad to know I'm not going mad!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now