Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone had Costochondritis?

(8 Posts)
cakemix Sat 10-Oct-09 19:56:45

I just wondered if anyone has had this as it's annoyingly persistant - pain eases, I forget I've got it, lift something and bugger it up again! How long should I rest my chest for and how "rested" does it have to be?

At the moment it's even sore when I breath, and reaching for a wine glass is out of the question (I'm starting to panic!) wink.

TIA

Goldberry Sat 10-Oct-09 20:44:21

Poor you. My dh had it recently. His doctor gave him some tablets (anti-inflammatory type things I think). He took them for a while and took it easy, and the pain mostly went away in a week or so. He still feels a bit short of breath occasionally if he exerts himself. I keep trying to tell him not to play football! Hope yours gets better soon. smile

TheFoosa Sat 10-Oct-09 20:46:25

yes, years ago, thought I was having a heart attack it was so painful

SmallSCREAMCap Sat 10-Oct-09 20:53:26

Yes, I get it now and then, it hurts like buggery doesn't it?

My GP advised a course of ibuprofen, i.e. not popping one or two now and then when needed, but taking 2 every 6ish hours for a week. It's all about the cumulative effect, he says.

Sorry to say that for me it's been recurring for 3 years now, and since I can't stop breathing, there's not much to be done!

cakemix Sat 10-Oct-09 22:52:41

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

Yes I was told to take ibuprofen, but as it sort of eases off i forget to keep dosing up and it catches me unawares! My eldest is chest height for hugs too, and oh it hurts.

It's such an odd injury and I'd never heard of it before - I feel silly taking it easy, althought after forgetting about it and lifting some furniture this week I now have a bruise where the pain is.

Thanks Goldberry, I shall try to take it easy! smile

SmallSCREAMcap - is yours sore to the tough too? I can hardly bare to touch the skin sometimes. So sorry you are still suffering! shock Hope it eases for good soon.

TheFoosa, Yes I was worried, my pains not in the right area for heart trouble, but I was most concerned it was a breast problem as my Mum suffered breast cancer year ago. Dr was very reassuring but didn't tell me too much about the injury, so I was left wondering really. hmm

InMyLittleHead Sat 10-Oct-09 23:01:06

I had it and was told by an ex (who was a doctor) that costochondritis 'didn't exist' hmm pretty sure it does. Mine seemed to sort of go off by itself eventually.

cakemix Sat 10-Oct-09 23:08:51

Lol, sure feels real! grin

Nice to know it may well go away...sometime..

SmallSCREAMCap Sat 10-Oct-09 23:33:37

Yep, mine felt bruised to touch. Sometimes the pain is very sharp and takes my breath away, unfortunately it doesn't seem to be triggered by anything in particular - I'd just be walking through the kitchen door or something, and suddenly, eek!

I had a baby 6ish weeks ago and it stopped somewhere around 25 weeks of pregnancy and hasn't returned since. Pretty extreme measures, so please don't consider that a prescription..!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now