Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How does one go about writing a form letter of complaint to a hospital?

(8 Posts)
sunburntats Sat 10-Oct-09 18:56:28

Ever done it?
Who do you address it to?
How do you know if they have got it and are actioning your complaints?
hm?

sunburntats Sat 10-Oct-09 18:57:31

DOH! meant "FORMAL" letter of complaint!

scottishmummy Sat 10-Oct-09 19:17:23

ok, get name of the clinical services manager/director for the service you are referring to and Chief executive. send to them recorded. they should initiate the complaints procedure and respond to you in writing. google nhs trust for their names if unsure

>be concise
>assert it is a complaint
>non emotive factual language,nothing too fancy
>dates and details of your complaint
>keep copies

some website help for you
www.pals.nhs.uk/cmsContentView.aspx?Itemid=944PALS PALS will assist you with a complaint too

alypaly Sat 10-Oct-09 21:40:54

Speak to the patient services department...as i did about my mothers care and get an official complaints form from them and write your complaint out on that.
Photocopy and send or deliver by hand to the patient services/liaison officer.

mammychildminder Sat 10-Oct-09 21:45:30

patient services are brilliant, we have used these before. good luck getting answers from the actual hospital though. they seem to be very good at passing the blame and answering around the questions you want answering

alypaly Sat 10-Oct-09 21:51:05

I made a formal complaint to a hospital about the care my elderly mother had whist she was on a geriatric ward,after breaking her hip. I was prepared to see heads roll,and see jobs lost believe me. i was so angry

katechristie Sat 10-Oct-09 22:16:18

Check out DoH guidance here or welsh guidance here.

Generally you should receive an acknowledgement of your complaint within a couple of days, then a letter offering some form of explanation, or outlining how the investigation is being handled within 20 days I think. (don't quote me on the 20 day thing, that might just be good practice rather than official guidance).

Most trusts have a complaints manager (most will have an actual team depending on their size) so if you're writing to the manager of the clinical service you're complaining about, copy the complaints manager in as well as the CEO if you want to make sure it's acknowlegded. - Complaints policies should be public documents, so you can get hold of your local one through your PALS, so that you know how they should be dealing with your complaint.

sunburntats Sun 11-Oct-09 11:15:30

Thanks every one.
I wil pop into the PALS office on Monday and ask them.
Thanks for the good luck wishes, think i am going to need them allot sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now