Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

when does tonsillitis need antibiotics?

(9 Posts)
PumpkinsCantDanceTheTango Sat 10-Oct-09 01:18:47

Have it AGAIN. Well have self diagnosed - sore throat, swollen tonsils so they are almost touching, white spots, headache, sore ears and sore tummy.

Do I need to go to Dr or only if it gets worse?

Last time I had it the spots completely covered tonsils and they joined in middle bluugh, but not that stage (yet anyway)

lou33 Sat 10-Oct-09 01:21:49

sounds like anti biotics would be good, though they do say most cases will go away without

my gp will often diagnose and prescribe but say to try and hold off taking them for a day or 2 and see how it goes, and if no improvement then start the course

you have my sympathy, i am a complete baby with throat infections, its the one thing i cant cope with

PumpkinsCantDanceTheTango Sat 10-Oct-09 01:25:32

Had sore swollen throat for a few days, only this morning the white spots appeared but they been gradually getting more of them. Temp ok for now which am surprised at, last time I had tonisllitis I was on here wingeing and hallucinating with a temp of 40 and spewing up my anitbiotics blush

PumpkinsCantDanceTheTango Sat 10-Oct-09 01:29:13

Oh and thanks for sypmathy ) Its times like this I hate living alone, would love someone to listen to my wingeing and bring me peeled grapes grin

lou33 Sat 10-Oct-09 01:33:42

yes i understand that being on my own with my kids, when you get ill its v hard going

i think the white spots would be when theydish out the medicine

try gargling with dispersible aspirin and swallowing it until you can see a doctor, thats always helped me

and honey and lemon tea

these things always seem to happen at weekends

i trapped a nerve in my back a couple of weeks ago and had to hobble about in agony all weekend til i could get to the doc on the monday

Bucharest Sat 10-Oct-09 14:14:27

I think (dd gets it a lot) it depends if it's classed as viral tonsilitis (and a kind of secondary infection due to some cold/fluey type thing) or bacterial....(at least that's what dd's doc told us, but we're in Italy and they're a bit obsessed with antibiotics) If there's a fever over 38.5 and pus on the tonsils, she says it's bacterial so we get antibs...otherwise not...
(although there always seems to be pus and a temp tbh angry)

PumpkinsCantDanceTheTango Sat 10-Oct-09 16:21:27

Went today and got given 2x the normal dose of antibiotics as Dr said looks bad. I had it really terribly in Feb this year and feel much better than I did then so am hoping the antibiotics might help to not let it get to that stage. Am falling to bits!! Lying in bed now and not got any plans to move grin

Jujubean77 Sat 10-Oct-09 16:24:04

if there is pus on the tonsils + high fever you need them.

Tonsils always cause the most Godawful temps!

lou33 Sat 10-Oct-09 16:30:00

i hope you feel better soon

dd1 used to get it all the time (about every 6 weeks), and had unusually large tonsils anyway

she ended up having hers removed when she was about 14 or 15, her tonsils were so scarred they had to remove some of the surrounding area too to get them out

throat infections are horrible things

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now