Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Had wisdom tooth out on wednesday and am looking for a bit of reassurance

(22 Posts)
MrsMorgan Fri 09-Oct-09 20:14:31

It was a difficult extraction, with the dentist having to lever it out a bit as it just wouldn't come loose.

Anyway, it finally came out and I had to bite down on a wad of cotton wool for 5 min and that was that.

I have stuck to the advice given on the info sheet but I am slightly concerned about a couple of things.

Firstly, I can still taste blood in my mouth. If I lightly tough the area where the tooth was it doesn't seem to be bleeding, but I can taste it, is that normal ??

Secondly, about ten minutes ago a tiny piece of tooth seemed to fall out of the hole.

I am also still having to take painkillers regularly. It's only over the counter stuff so the pain isn't horrendously bad, but it's enough to have to take something.

Does all of this sound normal ??

thisisyesterday Fri 09-Oct-09 20:21:16

blood taste is definitely normal, as is the painkiller use
not sure baout the piece of tooth...i think i would prob contact the dentist and see if they want to do x-rays or anything to make sure it's all out

MrsMorgan Fri 09-Oct-09 20:22:15

Will it be ok to leave that until Monday ??

thisisyesterday Fri 09-Oct-09 20:24:55

i'd have thought so. the sockets take ages and ages to heal, so even if there is something there i'd guess that they'll be able to deal with it on monday. and hopefully it was just a little bit that got left, or perhaps fell back in as the dentist removed it or soemthing?

jasper Fri 09-Oct-09 20:28:52

I can help ,I am a dentist.

Blood taste is completely normal.
Tiny piece that came out will not be tooth, but a fragment of bone. Completely normal and I always warn my patients in advance to expect small sharp bits that look like tooth (but are actually bone) to work their way out of the extraction socket.

Needing to take normal painkillers is pretty par for the course.

Keep your mouth as clean as you can and relax!

herbietea Fri 09-Oct-09 20:29:31

Message withdrawn

MrsMorgan Fri 09-Oct-09 20:31:28

Oh thank god for that, i'm so glad you posted smile

I have been brushing teeth as normal, but is it ok to use mouthwash ?? I know you can rinse with saltwater, but I am a wimp and the mere thought of that makes me feel sick.

MrsMorgan Fri 09-Oct-09 20:32:53

Sorry, whilst you are here, can I also ask, is it ok for me to have a hot drink yet ?? and it is ok to drink wine now isn't it ??

herbietea Fri 09-Oct-09 20:33:28

Message withdrawn

jasper Fri 09-Oct-09 20:35:22

you should have got stuck into the wine on Thursday grin

not only is it safe to drink wine, it is recommended!

The salt water thing is optional, and I would forget it if it makes you sick.

DIlute your MW half and half with water from the kettle as it is actually the heat of the rinse which is effective.

MrsMorgan Fri 09-Oct-09 20:39:09

Ah will definatly do that mouthwash thing then, anything other than the salt.

Off to open my wine now grin

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

jasper Fri 09-Oct-09 21:47:32

how about mulled wine to cover all options? grin

MrsMorgan Sun 11-Oct-09 17:40:49

Sorry to bring this up again but just wanted to check that what is happening is still pretty normal.

No blood taste anymore, but i'm still having to take painkillers every 4 hours, although not through the night as the pain doesn't wake me.

It isn't the site of the extraction that is hurting it is the whole of the top of that side of my jaw. Is this likely to still just be bruising ?

Am thinking that if it's no better by Wednesday (a week) then I will go back.

MrsMorgan Sun 11-Oct-09 18:10:27

Bump

AMumInScotland Sun 11-Oct-09 18:10:51

I had a big molar out, and it took a lot of physical force from the dentist to get it out - my whole jaw was aching pretty badly for several days. So, I'd say if it doesn't feel like an infection (hot, itchy, etc) then I'd give it a bit longer. Hopefully you'll be feeling a lot of improvement by Wednesday, but deffo go back and talk to the dentist if not.

MrsMorgan Sun 11-Oct-09 21:42:06

Thanks, it's definatly not hot or itchy and definatly feels like it's my jaw thats achey nothing else.

Fingers crossed it improves soon.

LRB978 Sun 11-Oct-09 22:26:15

When I had my wisdom tooth out a couple of years ago I was told to take paracetamol/co-codamol and ibuprofen alternatly every 4 hours, and to expect to be on them for a week. In my case I didn't need to, but I think this was because I was in so much pain pre-extraction, any pain post extraction didn't feel painful IYGWIM. The ache almost definately is just from the force it took to get it out, but if you are at all worried/unsure, call your dentist. They should be able to reassure you over the phone if it is nothing, or may get you in for a quick check if they are unsure (but I can almost guarentee it will be the former).

BetterBitOfButter Sun 11-Oct-09 22:30:35

Have lots to drink! I had all 4 wisdom teeth out in one go, terrible agony, infection in one socket etc - after about a week of feeling sorry for myself had a night on the G&Ts with some friends - cleared the whole sorry mouth mess right up!!

Jasper the dentist may not agree with this advice grin

DrNortherner Sun 11-Oct-09 22:38:11

Poor you. I developed dry sockets after having 4 wisdom teeth removed. I would rather give birth again then go through that hell.

Eaglebird Sun 11-Oct-09 22:49:43

I had all 4 wisdom teeth out in hospital several years ago. Bloody taste & tiny bits of bone coming out are normal. I went to see my dentist as I was worried about the sharp bits of bone. He said it was nothing to worry about, and was called 'exfoliation'if I remember right.
I found it helpful to gargle with half a mug of hot water with a teaspoon of salt in several times a day. The heat was quite soothing. Oraldene mouthrise was also helpful to get rid of the horrible taste. I was on pain killers for quite a few days afterwards. Also ended up with an infection, and the stitches on 1 socket burst while I was in bed - green goo all over the pillowcase <BOAK>.
If you get a hot, throbbing pain in your jaw area, go to see your dentist or GP as soon as you can!

jasper Sun 11-Oct-09 23:13:02

Mrsmorgan all still normal and I agree with betterbitofbutter's advice! (unless you are taking metronidazole)

MrsMorgan Sun 11-Oct-09 23:30:18

Thanks all, really appreciate the help.

I have no pain at all in the socket where the tooth was, it is more my gum/jawline.

I let the last lot of painkillers wear off and the pain does seem slightly diminished.

Funnily enough, the bottle of wine I had last night did help with the pain alot lol.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now