Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

can you explain this

(5 Posts)
pinkkoala Fri 09-Oct-09 11:09:06

my dd has been poorly, watery vomiting on tuesday night, high temp 39.5 on wednesday, and bit of upset tummy, now not eating but drinking.

she was playing with the children next door on saturday, they became ill on sunday my dd got ill on tuesday.

the dad next door is now poorly, high temp feeling sick. but that is 5 days later, are they linked as this doesn't seem to be a normal tummy bug with the incubation period of up to 48 hrs.

does it sound like an airbourne virus or what, there seems to be a period of 4/5 days between people.

how can we try and prevent the rest of the family catching it.

whomovedmychocolate Fri 09-Oct-09 12:04:00

Watery as in mucousy or watery as in 'I haven't eaten anything and am just chucking up the liquids I've eaten'?

Sounds like it could be a lot of things. You can prevent the rest of you catching it with good hand hygiene and not sharing towels.

pinkkoala Fri 09-Oct-09 12:34:29

lumpy and liquidy is the only way i can describe it, that was just once then the retching with nothing.

high temp, and then couple of days later the runny poo and yellowy, very lethargic.

the kids next door have had it she was with them on saturday, they started being ill on sunday and she started tuesday, their dad has now got high temp, delirious, and feeling sick.

it just doesn't sound like a normal tummy bug, where it incubates for upto 48 hrs and is spread by hand to mouth, it seems more airbourne.

are there any nasties around like this at the mo.

TrinityHasAVampireRhino Fri 09-Oct-09 12:39:45

all tummy bugs and nasties can act differently than the 'norm' 48 hours
also some people dont show all symptoms

just good hand washing and hygeine and cross fingers as always

hope your little one is better soon

whomovedmychocolate Fri 09-Oct-09 13:15:36

Actually all gastric bugs take between 3 and 72 hours to first show but the 'show' can be a slightly elevated temperature which isn't normally picked up in adults, they just think they are a bit tired. In kids they puke first, suffer second, but adults are the reverse.

There are always gastric bugs around - you just only suffer from them if you are run down - you've probably all had it but some of you will be immune from past infections and some will have just batted it off!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now