Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

coil advice

(5 Posts)
woodforthetrees Thu 08-Oct-09 20:24:58

I've been to the Family planning advisor today. DD is 8 months. DS 3.3 years. I really don't want any more kids and am 39. Both were born by c-section - first was emergency as I never went into labour after 48 hours post waters breaking nor after induction. Second time I elected to have c-section.

I can't take combined or mini pill - lots of other options have progesterone.

Coil is the obvious choice. I was told though that I could opt for the FPC at the hospital which might be easier than the surgery which made me worry that it might be more painful than usual due to the fact that I didn't give birth naturally...

Maybe I just dose up on my stash of painkillers post c=section before having it done grinwink

Anyone else have any experience of this (positive !).
Thanks

moaningminniewhingesagain Thu 08-Oct-09 22:03:52

I have had 2 csections too but laboured (not well, clearlygrin) both times. Apparently it's not too tricky to put a coil in even if you've not had any babies, just make sure the person fitting it does lots of them - my GP did mine as she 'does' tons and it was fine even though I'm a big wuss. Was sore after though, but nothing paracetamol/ibuprofen didn't sort out.

Is there a reason you can't have anything with progesterone? I don't get on with the mini pill but I have the mirena coil which has a very low dose in, and it is not causing me the same side effects that the mini pill did. I loved my old combined pill but can't take it now because of breastfeeding.

The other obvious option is to consider getting your dp/dh 'done'smile If I was sure I didn't want any more I would definately consider it, but I wanted something long term, reliable, but keeping my options open.

howdoo Fri 09-Oct-09 09:22:27

I had two c-sections as well and then a coil put in. I did dilate on the first birth, so that may have made a difference. It wasn't painful at all, but even if it is painful for you, it only takes a couple of seconds. However, the coil itself did make me have fortnight long periods which was a pain. What about condoms? Or the snip for your partner?

woodforthetrees Fri 09-Oct-09 13:42:36

Thanks for the messages
I've done a search for the coil on here and it's a mixed bag of awful/ok

I think I really have to go and just see for myself don't I. The progesterone in the mini-pill seems to make me miserable and give me mood swings but I'm told that the prog. in the mirena coil is really only isolated into the womb so shouldn't affect moods etc.

I've asked to be referred to the Hospital FP clinic where as moaning says they do them all the time and so have the experience. If it was that bad I'd just get them to stop but will also find that stash of painkillers before I go grin - you'd honestly think that women who'd gone through childbirth could cope with a coil fitting couldn't you - I do wonder about myself sometimes !!!....

pinknosedevereux Fri 09-Oct-09 16:52:13

2 ecs here too. I've got a mirena coil and it was fine, I was a bit worried too- I can't even use tampons!
It's been wonderful for me I bled for over a month( not heavy though, but since then hardly any periods and no problems. Just better sex life!(could just be a coincidence)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now