Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

BRCA 1 testing your experiences?

(6 Posts)
littleoldme Thu 08-Oct-09 16:53:52

There's a 50/50 chance that I have brca 1 alteration. I went for a first genetic counselling appointment today. I was positive that I wanted the test but now am not so sure. was just wondering if anyone had any experince of this that they would be willing to share ?

littleoldme Thu 08-Oct-09 17:17:35

Anyone?

TheOldestCat Thu 08-Oct-09 17:22:56

Sorry, not much help, but hope this will bump for someone else. Will watch with interest as DH's sister had it and so SH will need testing before our DD hits puberty.

I hope you are ok, littleoldme, and that someone is along shortly.

littleoldme Thu 08-Oct-09 18:22:34

Thanks Cat - thought I was all ready for it but was a much bigger deal that I was expecting. What is SH ?

TheOldestCat Thu 08-Oct-09 20:13:42

Sorry, meant DH, not SH!

Perhaps you should take a bit of time before going back then, until you can get your head round it all?

littleoldme Fri 09-Oct-09 12:29:02

Yes, I'm not going to decide anything for a while - the Geneticist is going to call me back on three weeks to see if I want another appt to talk things over. She really was amazing - god bless the NHS eh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now