Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Please help I am BEGGING I need to lose weight between shoulders and waist

(43 Posts)
MissAnnesley Wed 07-Oct-09 12:16:19

Help moi?

I am fit - I run 3 or 4 times a week - have well-toned legs, etc.

But I have a big chest which I HATE and a fat back ditto and baby tummy etc can someone PLEASE tell me if there is a rapid way of losing weight specifically from your boobs and surroundings? Or even a slow way.

sad

mablemurple Wed 07-Oct-09 12:22:31

It's not possible to target specific areas for weight loss, but it sounds to me as if you need toning up in these areas. There are lots of dvds or ipod touch apps that could help, or just join a gym. Swimming also good for toning up that area.
HTH.

MissAnnesley Wed 07-Oct-09 12:24:27

I am in a gym so maybe I will ask for advice on using some of the machines etc. They scare me and I just go on the treadmill!

GetOrfMoiLand Wed 07-Oct-09 12:25:32

I need to lose weight from between my earlobes and anklebones.

VineGruesomeTits Wed 07-Oct-09 12:27:36

I need to lose weight between the top of my head and the soles of my feet

SmallScrewCap Wed 07-Oct-09 12:31:16

I need to lose weight between my left and right ear

The only exercise that ever shifted my back-flaps was TaeBo, all the punching and round-house kicks. Can't wait to start it again <anaemic weakling emoticon>

MissAnnesley Wed 07-Oct-09 12:40:05

Oh very glad to have provided amusement.

jasper Wed 07-Oct-09 13:28:50

If you lose weight it will come off the bits that are fat anyway.
If your legs are not fat to start with they won't end up emaciated.
You need to do it the usual slow way I'm afraid - cut back on calories consumed. You will lose your fat back, boobs and belly, believe me

ThingOne Wed 07-Oct-09 16:41:40

I do swimming and lots of exercises focussed on my core muscles.

cornsilk Wed 07-Oct-09 16:43:02

weights for your back - try body pump

notyummy Wed 07-Oct-09 16:44:46

Tae Bo (billy Blanks Bootcamp Workout good for upper body and abs....but HARD - prepare to suffer)

Light weights

You need a combination of healthy eating and toning (pilates for section and press-ups/tricep dips and weights for arms)

BonsoirAnna Wed 07-Oct-09 16:47:07

We all have different body shapes and put on weight in different places. You sound very apple-shaped.

Really, there is nothing for it but to lose weight generally. The last place it will come off and the first place it will go back on again are your own personal hot spots.

MissAnnesley Wed 07-Oct-09 16:53:12

I am an apple on slim, muscular legs and arms and a slim face, which makes me look just daft at the moment.

I am eating well and running 3-4 times a week which is about all I can manage as I have a baby now. However I might look at swapping one or two runs for a weight session / different aerobic exercise - there's no tae bo at my gym but there are boxy things I think.

God it's miserable making not to feel the right shape.

MadreInglese Wed 07-Oct-09 16:54:24

aerobics and pilates

and gallons of water

notyummy Wed 07-Oct-09 18:43:50

Try the Billy Blanks DVDs - I cant get to a gym; husband away most of the time plus a long commute to work, so that is all I can do (and run when he is here.)

Also Matt Roberts book 'Fit for your Shape' is good - specific workouts for an apple shape. You have to work HARD though and have plenty of self-disipline. Poncing around doing a few sit-ups and a 30 gentle jog on a treadmill aint going to cut it - feeling really uncomfortable and pushing yourself is the only way to properly change your bodyshape (barring surgery)

purplepeony Wed 07-Oct-09 19:08:00

you might be surprised OP at how few calories are being used up by the running, compared to how many you need to use to lose weight.

Agree with the others that you cannot spot-reduce- you have to lose weight overall.

8oreighty Wed 07-Oct-09 19:08:40

try low carb...for me it gets rid of fat from all the right places.

jasper Wed 07-Oct-09 22:44:46

Purple is right. Running will not use up that many calories, and will increase your apetite

notyummy Thu 08-Oct-09 07:01:10

Depends on 'how many calories' you mean. Running is the most efficient calorie burner of all aerobic exercise, and has been proved to suppress appetite in most people - there are some people who eat after exercise because they think they 'deserve it', but that is different to an increase in your appetite. Swimming on the other hand has been scientifically shown to increase accident.

A 5 mile run for a 10.5 stone woman will burn approximately 550/600 calories. Thats quite a lot for 40-50 minutes work (amount of time depending on how fit you are and how fast you run!)

purplepeony Thu 08-Oct-09 09:14:38

How many people though are running 5 miles?

Most prob do half of that ??? and if that's only 250 cals then it's not a lot. It's so easy to end up eating that again, even in healthy fod- bit of cheese, nuts, dried fruits, fruit smoothies etc.
You really need to calorie count and take in about 500 less each day than you need.

MissAnnesley Thu 08-Oct-09 12:01:32

I don't actually find running makes me ravenous. I drink a lot while doing it and easily drink 2l water per day anyway.

OK current plan is:

- increase running length to something properly punishing - maybe to 10K per run in 2 months?
- swap in different aerobic stuff for one of my runs - investigate boxy stuff?
- monitor calorie intake - I know you can do this at FoodFocus etc

BalloonSlayer Thu 08-Oct-09 12:15:19

MissAnnesley, I find that if I cut down carbs in the evening I lose weight easily, and specifically from my waist and stomach. And - sadly, in my case - boobs.

This means having something like tarted-up chicken breast with an enormous salad for dinner, instead of pasta and garlic bread. Ideally you would also have no wine or sugary stuff either but we are none of us perfect wink.

Give it a try, I assure you it works. The first time I tried it I lost half a stone in a week and had to make two new holes in my belt. I was shock.

MissAnnesley Thu 08-Oct-09 12:23:06

Yes I have already been to the supermarket this am and have mealplanned (well, vaguely) around main courses with optional carbs (the rest of the family are skinny carbmonsters) and I have bought tons of gorgeous salady things and veggies, which luckily I love. BUT when you say no carbs do you mean no normal carbs - bread, pasta, rice, potato, or do you mean the stealthy carbs like broccoli, strawberries or whatever which pose as healthy but when you examine Atkins etc you find they are fatal?

Rubyrubyruby Thu 08-Oct-09 12:26:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MissAnnesley Thu 08-Oct-09 12:29:57

Maybe I could run holding my boobs!

Oh no sorry you said light weights.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now