Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Driving 3 weeks after CS?

(12 Posts)
memoo Tue 06-Oct-09 19:00:37

I had a CS 3 weeks ago and I'm now healed and feel as well as before the op.

The only advice I was given upon leaving hospital was that I shouldn't lift anything heavy but friends have said to me that I shouldn't drive for 6 weeks.

What advice have other people been given? Is the 6 week rule what other people have been told too?

BoysAreLikeDogs Tue 06-Oct-09 19:02:41

you need to check with whoever you have the car insured with

SingingBear Tue 06-Oct-09 19:02:43

Message withdrawn

SingingBear Tue 06-Oct-09 19:03:02

Message withdrawn

traceybath Tue 06-Oct-09 19:04:05

You can drive when you feel able to and when you could do an emergency stop.

Check with your insurers but mine were fine with me driving after 3 weeks.

memoo Tue 06-Oct-09 19:11:35

I never even thought of the insurance thing! My brain is haggled at the moment with a 3 weeks old! I will definately phone them first thing and check.

I do feel like I would be able to do an emergency stop. I seem to have healed quite quickly and apart from the odd twinge I feel as well as I did before the op

olivo Tue 06-Oct-09 20:44:17

my insurers said i could drive before 6 weeks if my dr said i could. she checked my wound and checked that i could do a kind of sit up. its all to do with emergency stops i think! i was driving after 3 weeks this time.

McDreamy Tue 06-Oct-09 20:49:27

I visited my GP at 3 weeks. He did a quick wound examination and said I was fit to drive.

mo3g Tue 06-Oct-09 21:03:01

I started to drive again at 3 weeks after section. I had to, 2 dd's to get to school nursery etc. I checked with insurnce company 1st but they had no problem with it. You know your self if you feel able maybe go out and sit in driver seat put foot on pedels etc see how it feels if your comfortable then give it a go.

Pyrocanthus Tue 06-Oct-09 21:18:45

I was fine to drive after 3 weeks. Doc said it was fine if insurer agreed, insurer said it was fine if doc was happy. I went out for a cautious drive and tried a cautious emergency stop. It didn't hurt a bit.

Most insurers have no limit or just want you to get a doctor's OK; check with yours. I think most GPs would OK most women after 3 weeks.

poorbuthappy Tue 06-Oct-09 21:22:54

I drove after 2 weeks...rang my insurance company and they confirmed that it was up to my doctor. So rang doctor and had consultation over phone. It was noted on my records and I started driving again...

Although 1 note of caution, I recovered very quickly because the twins were in special care for 2 weeks after I came home. So I was getting full nights sleep, and only looking after a 4 year old...had the twins been home with me when I leave hospital I suspect it would have been longer...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now