Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Would you be miffed at your gp if they gave you an STI test..?

(57 Posts)
shhhh Tue 06-Oct-09 16:32:23

Basically 2 weeks ago after being on the pill for 3-4 months I had a little blood loss during periods.Also slight thrush but nothing major. Bit worried so called gp and after receptionist spoke to gp she advised me not to worry but to book an appointment for the following week.

I had the appointment last week and expected my gp to examine me and put me at ease.

She seemed unaware of me contacting the surgery,said the blood as "old" is not worrying but wanted to take swabs to check.

I was fine with this as I assumed it would be related to blood loss.

She started to discuss my contraception plans and the fact that I was only on the pill for hormonal issues which are now being controlled with ad's and that it may be benifical for me to have the coil fitted.
EVEN though I aim to try again for dc3 in the next 6 months..ALSO im not keen on the pill/contraception, haven't used anything for the last 10 years except condoms...

Now after she had taken swabs it was then that I realised they were for STI/STD checks shock.
Also after the appintment I realised the clinic I was booked into was family planning!

Surely this isn';t necessary..? I feel a bit offended. I have been with dh for 13 years, he was my 1st serious relationship and prior to dh I can count on one hand how many men I slept with..

I just feel a bit shocked an annoyed that she has done these tests..am I being unreasonable..?

Meglet Tue 06-Oct-09 16:35:50

I wouldn't be worried. She is checking just in case, it's not nice but I expect they see people who are sure they don't have one, then it turns out they do.

I've marched myself off to the GU clinic a couple of times, and I've slept with less men than fingers on one hand. Better to be safe than sorry I reckon.

reikizen Tue 06-Oct-09 16:36:36

She certainly should have gained your consent before taking the swabs, perhaps there was a failure of communication! However, it is not really relevant how many people you have slept with, it is how many people he has slept with! And it only takes one partner to pass something unpleasant on to you. And given the prevalence of STIs it may be a reasonable thing to check for. That's probably not the reply you wanted is it? But it would be better to know if you are goint to ttc in the near future.

shhhh Tue 06-Oct-09 16:38:26

I just feel a bit offened as surely after having 2 kids I would know by now if I had anything and I have never slept with anyone else without protection..only dh...and its been 13 years

Just felt a bit fobbed off I guess.

crokky Tue 06-Oct-09 16:39:06

She has to check. As far as she is concerned, fine you are telling the truth about your sexual partners but there are plenty of husbands who cheat on their partners and then infect them with an STI they have picked up. She is probably just covering all angles.

shhhh Tue 06-Oct-09 16:39:50

but reikizen I already have 2 kids...with dh!

If my 60 yr old mother went with a similar problem would she get tested for STI..?

AmpleBosom Tue 06-Oct-09 16:39:50

YABU although i would feel a bit put out myself. The doctor has to check out all possible causes and wouldn't be doing her job if she didn't, however, she should have discussed what she was doing it with you.

Woman in marriages/relationships can get STI's if their partner has been unfaithful, you might say that there is no way your partner has been unfaithful but then so might lots of people.

At least all bases are being covered so to speak smile

AmpleBosom Tue 06-Oct-09 16:41:08

Sorry got carried away it's not even in AIBU blush...............as you were

said Tue 06-Oct-09 16:41:21

YABU. What if your husband has been unfaithful?

TrillianSlasher Tue 06-Oct-09 16:41:33

She should have explained what she was doing and why.

But are you actually insulted that you are begin given an STI test? That's crazy. Why should the nurse assume that just because you are married with children you have never had the opportunity to pick up an infection.

shhhh Tue 06-Oct-09 16:42:31

OK,I see that i could be infected by other means but old blood loss...needs an sti test..?

no other symptoms and no other concerns..I agree, little communication but feel its a bit wrong.

JustAnotherManicMummy Tue 06-Oct-09 16:44:24

Would you be offended at being offered a smear test? Course not. Same thing IMHO. Both done as precautions and both relating to the possibility of something passed by sexual contact causing problems later.

And I bet your mum has been offered smears.

Although agree doctor should have made it clear what she was doing and it doesn't sound like she was listening to you regarding contraception. That's not good.

I was told by a sexual health nurse that the group of people most at risk of catching an STI are middle aged, married women. They don't use barrier method, they think they're not at risk and are unaware that their DH is shagging the secretary. The DH picks something up and passes it on.

Did she say the swabs were for STIs?

shhhh Tue 06-Oct-09 16:45:33

YES i am insulted !

it wasn't the nurse but my gp, they know my history and know dh's history and I would never cheat and neither would dh.

I know most of you are saying "well he could", thanks but he wouldn't.

Itsjustafleshwound Tue 06-Oct-09 16:45:47

But didn't you have to give bloods when you were booked in by the midwife?? I think one of the tests was an HIV test??

shhhh Tue 06-Oct-09 16:47:48

Not until after she had taken them. I asked when the results would be ready and she said "the results for x would be x" and.... it was them I knew what they were for.

IMO smear test is different. Im also upto date with them...don't have a problem with smears.

TrillianSlasher Tue 06-Oct-09 16:47:58

You shouldn't be insulted. They're not saying it's likely, but it would be irresponsible of them to not check for STIs because it is possible.

(6 months later... "AIBU to be annoyed that I have had an undignosed STI for years because my doctor assumed a married woman couldn't get one?")

shhhh Tue 06-Oct-09 16:48:32

Yes,bloods given at antenetal both times. Consented to HIV tests.

crokky Tue 06-Oct-09 16:50:29

But shhhh, your GP is not just answerable to you, she is answerable to her employers, the NHS. She must cover all bases. She can trust you (and your DH) for not cheating on a personal level, but on a professional level it would be negligent to do so.

AmpleBosom Tue 06-Oct-09 16:52:32

Shhhh how does your GP know that you or your DH wouldn't cheat, that is ridiculous. Most people would say they didn't ever think their partner would cheat on them. Imagine if they didn't check and you had an untreated STI resulting in infertility, you'd be furious.

People who get infected with STI's aren't always people who have had lots of sexual partners. I trust my DH and would be gobsmacked if i found out he had cheated on me, however, i am not foolish enough to think that it could never happen.

shhhh Tue 06-Oct-09 16:52:33

Just don't feel my symptoms and concerns warranted an STI test..thats all.

Understand she has a job to do but don't feel now, looking back that that was the right route.

She's doing her job. If you are so sure they're going to come back negative then why are you bothered? Just forget about it. And why did you consent to HIV tests if you're so sure your DH wouldn't cheat.

<wonders how many threads I've read on MN by women who have just found out that their DH has cheated on them when they were always so convinced he never would>

She obviously felt your symptoms did warrent a STI test. Are you a Dr as well?

shhhh Tue 06-Oct-09 17:01:34

Guess I will just wait and see.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now