Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Having Mirena fitted tomorrow, come and tell me how much fun it's going to be...

(27 Posts)
MayorNaze Tue 06-Oct-09 16:13:49

and i use the word "fun" in the loosest sense of the word...

MayorNaze Tue 06-Oct-09 16:21:22

please? am not nervous as such but not really looking forward to it

mummygogo Tue 06-Oct-09 16:23:29

I'm having mine fitted next week while they do a "hysteroscopy" (which sounds rather too like hysterectomy for comfort!!

mosschops30 Tue 06-Oct-09 16:26:32

Have it done by someone you know and trust. My fave GP did mine, and told me exactly what she was doing and when she was going to pull some bit that would feel like a period cramp. It was much better that way.

Take plenty of painkillers (paracetamol and nurofen), I was in a lot of pain afterwards, like labour, moaning on sofa all afternoon.

Was fine after that, and soooooo worth it, mirena is the best thing ever, I'll be having another after this baby pops out

EightiesChick Tue 06-Oct-09 16:27:05

It wasn't a laugh but it'll be OK. I took the rest of the day off (had it done 2pm ish) and went home and had some paracetamol and DVD watching. Felt like a bad period. I was fine next day.

woahwoah Tue 06-Oct-09 22:56:06

It wasn't too bad having it put in, though very undignified. Take two paracetemol beforehand. I spent the rest of the day on the sofa with a hot water bottle, then bled a bit, on and off, for a few weeks. Then, nothing. No periods. At all. It's lovely...Why didn't someone persuade me to have one 10 years ago?

cece Tue 06-Oct-09 23:01:08

Had mine done last Weds. Took two painkillers before I went. From memory; the doc felt my womb (by pressing on tummy), then put speclum in, did a couple of swabs, looked at cervix, put some sort of 'clip' on cervix (this is the bit that gives you mild period like pains), then used a plastic tube to measure me hmm and finally she popped the coil in, cut the threads to the right length and all done.

Mild cramping for 20-30 mins afterwards. But then went and did a medium sized food shop and carried on as normal for rest of the day. I have had one or two bits of spotting, otherwise fine. Although today I seem to have deleloped two whiteheads on my face!

weegiemum Tue 06-Oct-09 23:04:41

My top tip : if you are anywhere close to needing a smear, ask them to do that first, they are in there anyway!!

Cos I had a smear a year after I had a mirena fitted, the smear thingy - the stick thing they use (it has a name which I have forgotten) pulled on my threads, pulled the coil down into my cervix and I was pg 3 months later.

So - have a smear first if you need one.

I liked my mirena till I got pg, but now dh has had the snip!

defineme Tue 06-Oct-09 23:07:51

I'm on my 3rd now and it's fine honestly.
I went for a speed walk the evening after the morning my last one was fitted, but then I think after a single and then twins my nerve endings aren't what they used to be! I have always taken painkillers first- I like to be prepared. Like a smear really.
I have the worst endemetroisis and no periods is bliss.
It'll all be over in a minute or 2.

MayorNaze Wed 07-Oct-09 08:34:47

thanks guys - didn't mean to post and leave but dh came home unexpectdly early.

though speaking of dh, am a bit peed off with him as he doesn't seem to think this is any srt of a big deal..i know its not in the grand scheme of the world, but it kinda is for me and well...men eh angry

so it'll be ok then? really? how long does it actually take to go in?

MayorNaze Wed 07-Oct-09 08:35:22

is it really a minute or 2? <<hopeful emoticon>>

MmeGoblindt Wed 07-Oct-09 08:37:57

I don't have a Mirena but am thinking about getting one so <lurking> here in the hope that you all think it is good.

weegiemum Wed 07-Oct-09 08:38:11

If someone was going to clamp his willy and push t-shaped object up it for contraceptive purposes he'd be getting out the condoms!

My dh was rather solicitous when I had mine put in!

Hope it goes well!

MayorNaze Wed 07-Oct-09 08:41:47

i will post back later MmeGoblindt

right, have ibruprofen and paracetamol to take in a bit - anthing else i can\should do?

i have tried explaining tht analogy to dh but he seems to think its quite funny hmm angry

missismac Wed 07-Oct-09 08:52:51

I've had mine in for rising 6 years now and must get it changed urgently, but the thought terrifies me. Has anyone had theirs changed? I've been told it's worse than having it put in & that wasn't the most pleasant experience of my life!

However, to respond to the OP, it wasn't sooo bad, more like a slightly more invasive smear. But you will need to rest and take it easy afterwards.

GetOrfMoiLand Wed 07-Oct-09 08:56:13

I have had two of these, and neither of the insertions hurt at all. Just felt like having a smear (all the fumbling around down there) and then a brief, dull ache when it was inserted. No afterpains at all.

Loved my mirenas, no periods for 10 years yay!

MayorNaze Wed 07-Oct-09 08:59:16

really? just fumbling? have had smears and a sweep and am fine with all of that, am more concerned that when something (dd!) was coming out it was rather painful, ergo, something going in aint gonna be a picnic either...

it was the dilating word that concerned me when the dr explained it all

MayorNaze Wed 07-Oct-09 09:04:04

right - have taken all me painkillers and am ready for the off...

send me some nice mn vibes and i'll report back later.

thank you me dears

Elk Wed 07-Oct-09 09:09:59

I had mine fitted 3 weeks ago. I found it a bit painful when my cervix was measured and when the mirena was inserted but it really was only momentary. Other people I know have felt practically nothing. I was fine straight afterwards but was very uncomfortable about 1-3hours afterwards. I ended up taking my syndol tablets which are normally used for migraine but have a muscle relaxant and they helped alot, but I can't use nurofen.

Apart from the first day I have had no bleeding.

For the first few days I was aware that there was something in there but realised this morning that I have not felt anything for a few days now.

HTH

mumof2000 Wed 07-Oct-09 09:15:09

How did it go Mayor? hope your ok ? (((hug)))

Im having one fitted in 2 weeks time and am concerned about side effects heard some shocking stories , but nice to see good ones on here smile got to give it ago as periods sooooo heavy and crazy PMT ? will it help that o wonder ?

xx

MayorNaze Wed 07-Oct-09 14:36:45

i am back

and it was actually ok!

i was quite scared nervous but gp was fab and explained everything. she evn showed it to me - i was expecting some huge great tripod device (not sure why [blush) but it was about the size of a match shock - tiny!

it was all over v quick, gp told me exactly what she was doing all the time. it didn't hurt as such, but i had some odd achey sensations during. took about the same amount of time as a smear shock - again i thought it was going to be a while (though again not quite sure why...blush)

couple of hours after had a few crampy pains but am have taken more painkillers and am ok now. bit of spotting but not huge amounts.

so phew! really was fine! but thank you for all your support, I really appreciate it

MayorNaze Wed 07-Oct-09 14:59:53

oh gosh now i need a poo and am suddenly irrationally afraid that i'm going to push it out..shock

MayorNaze Wed 07-Oct-09 19:01:15

still not had that poo...blush

defineme Wed 07-Oct-09 23:38:33

It is some distance in side of you-hope you had that poo!

mumof2000 Thu 08-Oct-09 08:06:52

how you doing now Maynor ? have you survived having a poo?

x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now