Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Just got my first smear letter - scared!

(16 Posts)
Disembodied3 Tue 06-Oct-09 12:08:43

I need to make an appointment,

Im scared to though.

I don't like the thought of the procedure,

the intimacy of it blush

the results!

I know I have to but am very nervous

hanaflower Tue 06-Oct-09 12:10:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LeonieBooCreepy Tue 06-Oct-09 12:10:38

Message withdrawn

Tortington Tue 06-Oct-09 12:11:36

me too - but i go - its not a nice thing to have anyone looking up your fanjo - however needs must - and the nurse always understands this - i have never ever had anthing less than exemplary customer care fromt he nurses who perform this kind of thing

i always think - eww what a job - i know i'm worried but what a job they must have looking up fanjos - think smelly feet and smelly fanjos - i bet its really rotten for them too.

xxxxxxxxxxx good luck!

Bleatblurt Tue 06-Oct-09 12:12:06

I had my first one about 6 months ago and was very nervous about it too. The procedure took about 10 seconds to do - literally. I had a long chat before hand with the nurse which helped me feel more relaxed. It really wasn't as bad as I had imagined. Be brave and good luck! smile

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 06-Oct-09 12:12:44

Its not bad at all. Takes hardly anytime at all. Had one recently. Nurse had me covered with a blanket and before we had finished our conversation about what she was doing for the weekend it was done. I wouldn't worry about the results. Mines going to take up to 12 weeks before they come so plenty of time for other things in life before they arrive. Spending weeks worrying takes a lot of energy!

Disembodied3 Tue 06-Oct-09 12:13:43

I know but I have issues! lol

I dont want her to see my bare thighs.

Oh god its so mortifying,

at least in pregnancy I had an excuse for the flab and veins, lol.

Disembodied3 Tue 06-Oct-09 12:14:49

I know thats completely daft, but I can't help thinking it

better ring them now

Itsjustafleshwound Tue 06-Oct-09 12:17:02

As others have said, the nurses who perform these smears are usually sensitive and discreet!! I am sure that if you told them your concerns they will put you at ease.

It is unpleasant - but at best the result is clear and if there is a problem at least it can be treated quickly and early ...

Disembodied3 Tue 06-Oct-09 12:19:45

Monday at 12.

One blessing is that its the practice nurse I don't know too well, the other one I've known for years and that would be awful!! lol

GhostlyPixieOnaPumpkin Tue 06-Oct-09 14:32:05

You will be fine!
The nurse will know that it's your first one, and so she'll probably know how you feel! Don't forget that nurses are women too, and so have been there, done that, and got the t-shirt!
Make sure that you treat yourself afterwards - there's nothing like a nice bar of chocolate for an after-smear treat (although I wouldn't invite the neighbours in for a full blown party!). . .

PVish Tue 06-Oct-09 14:33:20

oh god htey want me for my THIRD retest due to blood in urine
ok thats it I will make the appt

alypaly Tue 06-Oct-09 16:04:09

Disembodied3 dont worry if its only your first test..had 3 years of tests every 6 months due to changes in cells...just had loop diathermy to remove part of the cervix under local this morning,due to pre-cancerous cells....so dont worry about a check up...think positive...its for your benefit and it will probably be normal.

scrimble Tue 06-Oct-09 22:44:10

I know exactly how you feel. When I got my reminder letter I really really didn't want to go. In fact, I had decided I wouldn't. But I could tell DP wasn't happy. So I went.

The nurse was rough and unfriendly. And to cap it all, the results came back with borderline abnormalities. So now I'm supposed to go back again for another in Feb.

I SO don't want to...

sad

Meglet Tue 06-Oct-09 22:49:54

scrimble When you go back please make sure you let the nurse know you are very nervous ,cry if you need to, I used to burst into tears as I hated smears, and they were always a bit shocked but very nice.

TheCrackFox Tue 06-Oct-09 22:59:20

Scrimble - I had exactly the same experience. The nurse was a cow and I got called back too. I will ask for another nurse in February.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now