Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

keeping colds at bay????

(6 Posts)
DLI Mon 05-Oct-09 19:49:31

Hi, my ds has a low immune system and every winter time especially gets a cold which he then passes to me. He is now on antibiotics until the end of march to help boost his immune system but he still seems to be a carrier. As I do most of the caring for him its always me that ends up getting a full blown cold.

I am wondering what do you take, ie vitamins etc, to keep colds at bay and what works really well,

i have already got my first cold of the winter and my nose is bright red!!!

thanks

KnickKnack Mon 05-Oct-09 21:49:45

echinacea and vitamin C to boost his immune system.

manuka honey. +5 for prevention, or +10to treat a cold/sore throat etc.

Probiotics/good bacteria to counteract all the damage from the antibiotics (you can get tasteless powder in your health shop, add it to any food or drink). they will also help boost immune system. Don't use the probiotic drinks are they are usually loaded with sugar.

what age is he?

mumonthenet Mon 05-Oct-09 21:53:04

He's on anti-biotics til the end of March? That sounds strange. Do you mean probiotics?

How old is he? Very young kids get alot of colds....that's partly how they build up their immune system!

You could consider Echinacea( maybe for both of you) I put dd on it at about 7 or 8 years olds...she used to get loads of colds and they would always go straight to her chest. The first winter I tried it seemed to make a great difference.

DLI Tue 06-Oct-09 07:09:14

Thanks for your advice

my ds is six, he is on a mild form of antibiotics called septrin as he 22q11 which affects his immune system. septrin boosts his immune system slightly and stops the colds going to his chest

mumonthenet Tue 06-Oct-09 08:29:52

oh right. Though I don't know what 22q11 is.

anyway knicknack's advice is good - echinacea and vit c to help improve immune system naturally and probiotics to counteract the effect of the anti-biotics.

Echinacea and Vit C for you too||

DLI Tue 06-Oct-09 19:13:07

thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now