Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

WWYD? DD not too good this morning but desperate to go to school.

(8 Posts)
SecretSlattern Mon 05-Oct-09 06:28:55

DD woke up at 5:30am and came into me crying that her throat was sore. TBH I think it is more that she has a cough and can't cough up the gunk (sorry if TMI) so it is getting stuck in her throat. She has had lots of water and some ibuprofen for the temperature and in case her throat is actually sore. She looked and sounded terrible earlier, but is now looking much better, albeit a little bit throaty (again, not sure whether it is sore or not). I'm planning on giving her calpol in the next hour to keep on top of it.

I first thought she should stay at home and when I mentioned it, she cried and said she wanted to go to school. I'm sure that if I send her, she will be sent home at some point when all the medicine has worn off.

I'm torn between letting her go to school if she feels she wants to and keeping her home because I know she won't last the day. What makes it difficult is that I also have 2 lectures at uni today and as I am pg, I am worried about falling behind. It's already hard enough without missing any of it!

So WWYD? I think by the time she has had calpol as well she will be ok to go to school, but I know they will end up ringing me to come and collect her.

kentmumtj Mon 05-Oct-09 06:32:30

How old is your dd.

If im honest when i have been in a similar situation to yours i often talk them to school and explain to the school that they were feeling unwell but insisted on coming to school and your not sure whether they will be ill or whether they will be ok but could they keep and eye on them and call you if they get worse and you could pick her up.

SecretSlattern Mon 05-Oct-09 06:40:23

DD is 5 and in Year 1. She is currently rolling around the sofa demanding her breakfast so obviously the sore throat (if that is what it is) is feeling better!

I think I will let her go, only because apart from the croakiness, she seems ok atm. Good idea about speaking to the school, will do that. Thanks smile

bigTillyMint Mon 05-Oct-09 06:40:40

It is still very early. Is she back asleep?

If she is still keen to go to school later, I would do what kentmum says - no skiiving in our housewink

kentmumtj Mon 05-Oct-09 06:51:50

hope shes is ok as it is horible when they are unwell

SecretSlattern Mon 05-Oct-09 07:15:13

she didn't go back to sleep despite my best efforts to get her to! she is getting dressed now and seems a bit happier. i agree BTM re the skiving thing, but it is not like her to wake herself up in the night feeling unwell, let alone coming into me! Will just see how she goes and if the worst comes to the worst and she does get sent home, DH may have to do the duty wink

kreecherlivesupstairs Mon 05-Oct-09 07:23:01

Gargle with salt water, then drink some honey in hot water, add some lemon if you have any.

artichokes Mon 05-Oct-09 07:24:51

I think it is rather selfish to send an I'll child to school and risk spreading her bug. Today you are inconvenienced but next week ten other mums may have similar probs. If she had a fever in the night then age is properly ill, you can't fake fever.

Give the other kids a chance - keep you DD home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now