Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can a back injury be a head injury - explanation within!

(7 Posts)
hobbgoblin Sun 04-Oct-09 20:11:39

DS hurt his back quite badly earlier today clambouring on back of older DS of DP. He fell off. Quelle surprise.

Very soon afterwards he developed a headache and paleness in his face. He has been okay mostly the rest of the day but quiet (for him) and headache has remained.

He now says his headache is REALLY bad so he has had Calpol.

Could it be related and should I treat as a head injury. he reckons he definitely didn't bang his head.

He can walk fine.

whomovedmychocolate Sun 04-Oct-09 20:18:50

Yup - needs to go to A&E - compression of the spine can be bloody painful and dangerous. Could be a neck injury - that'll cause bad head pain and I'm sure I don't need to tell you can be very serious. Sorry. Don't be encouraging him to walk till he's checked out.

moaningminniewhingesagain Sun 04-Oct-09 20:21:56

I would take to A and E for these symptoms as well, and I've never taken either of mine yet [not generally overcautious]

hobbgoblin Sun 04-Oct-09 20:23:23

Hmm ok then. Thought I may have been being dramatic.

whomovedmychocolate Sun 04-Oct-09 20:29:27

Nope - off you go. Not being dramatic, being sensible.

hobbgoblin Sun 04-Oct-09 22:05:38

have spoken to out of hours gp and am monitoring at home on their advice.

cheers m'dears

magso Mon 05-Oct-09 08:58:52

Hmm - my mother (in her youth) cracked her skull falling hard from a drop on to her bottom! My sister got concussion as a child falling on the ice - also on her bottom first although she also hit her head. The shock and compression transmitted up the spine apparently.
So it is better IMHE (nonmedical)to treat such hard falls followed by headache/palor as a head injury.
Hope ds is looking and feeling better today.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now