Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

why am I dizzy?

(27 Posts)
sarah293 Sun 04-Oct-09 18:00:44

Message withdrawn

piscesmoon Sun 04-Oct-09 19:19:09

Could it be labyrinthitis? see here
My DH had it but luckily it passed after a couple of weeks.

SixtyFootDoll Sun 04-Oct-09 19:21:48

Low blood pressure
Low blood sugars?
Just run down in general maybe?

nickytwotimes Sun 04-Oct-09 19:25:09

My suggestions were bp and labyrinthitis.
Get GP to check you out.

nickytwotimes Sun 04-Oct-09 19:26:31

Ah, now, Riven, just thinking it is not that long since you had horrid snot virus thing, so may well be ear related. I got labyrinthitis after fluey thhing once. Lasted a couple of weeks as pisces says. You can get beta blockers to stop the feeling sick.

nickytwotimes Sun 04-Oct-09 19:27:12

Hang on, months? Hmm. ANy other symptoms? How's your blood count?

sarah293 Sun 04-Oct-09 19:27:26

Message withdrawn

nickytwotimes Sun 04-Oct-09 19:28:47

Now, now, come on young lady. Get yourslef off to the GP. You know it makes sense. wink

sarah293 Sun 04-Oct-09 19:29:25

Message withdrawn

Curiousmama Sun 04-Oct-09 19:33:45

snap, mine is sinus related. It brings on my panic disorder thoughsad
I've just got a neti pot and that's helping a lot.

Hope you find something to help you soon it's awful.

mwff Sun 04-Oct-09 19:35:32

riven it could well be the labyrinthitis. mine keeps coming back (is back atm) and it's a much more low level thing than it was when it first came on, except when i'm very short of sleep, when it's debilitating again. afaik it often never goes away completely

sarah293 Sun 04-Oct-09 19:49:10

Message withdrawn

nickytwotimes Sun 04-Oct-09 19:51:37

Afaik, labyrinthitis is diagnosed on symptoms.
Don't know that much about it tbh, other than I had viral labyrinthitis which is pretty common and lasted 2 weeks. I felt really sick with it too, due to the dizziness.

mwff Sun 04-Oct-09 19:54:18

(all afaicr, not medical person disclaimer )

if it carries on past a certain length of time it means there's permanent damage to the ear canals. your brain has to learn to compensate. that's it really.

it's horrible that constant feeling that you have a hangover when you've done nothing to deserve it. although just for a change i panicked i was pg last week. is yours worst when you do lots of head turning, like putting dishes away and tidying up? oh screens make it worse ime too.

madwomanintheattic Sun 04-Oct-09 19:55:47

bppv?
it's a positional vertigo thing - i had it last summer and it recurs periodically. can also be triggered by virus grin i think.

sarah293 Sun 04-Oct-09 19:57:16

Message withdrawn

mwff Sun 04-Oct-09 20:06:50

yep, me too. actually thanks for posting this, i've been feeling pretty shit all round recently - like you said, tired, forgetful, i'm grumpy too - but hadn't considered the possibility that it could be directly linked to the labyrinthitis. perhaps i should get to the gp too...

sarah293 Mon 05-Oct-09 08:11:30

Message withdrawn

nightcat Mon 05-Oct-09 11:09:19

<hijack>
Hi Riven, have you considered zinc in all its glory?
Remember we were talking about my personal research for my ds, well, after 2 years on one item I have at last found out something really interesting. One of the liver enzymes my ds was deficient in is a marker for Zn deficiency - and my ds was deficient in Zn in hair and blood. In fact it was the copper-zinc balance that was skewed too much towards copper.
Well, on researching Zn further, I discovered that Zn is not stored by the body and it must be in foods or supplements. However, the real crux is that there are lots of more common minerals in the diet(Ca, Fe as well as Ni, Cu etc) that usually compete (and win) in the digestive system and zinc is then out-of-balance or deficient. Even some of the blood groups are found to be more difficult to maintain correct Zn levels (eg A, which is what my ds & I happens to be). We are now supplementing Zn & B6 individually.

To cut a long story short, check out Zn (in preference to Fe), as it might help you.
In fact, for my ds, I am beginning to question the concept of multivits, as I think the absorption of each of the elements can't be equally possible at the same time as some are more reactive than others. Also, eating cereals further eliminates zinc from the body, now that made me think!

Hope you feel better soon!

<end of hijack>

Curiousmama Mon 05-Oct-09 12:58:06

nightcat that's interesting. Do you know which is the best supplement of zinc for children? DS2 often has a sore throat...and funnily enough loves cereal. I wonder if it may help him?

sarah293 Mon 05-Oct-09 13:04:59

Message withdrawn

Curiousmama Mon 05-Oct-09 13:13:04

sad hope appointment goes ok?

mankymummymoo Mon 05-Oct-09 13:16:39

er... menopause? eek. sorry !

sarah293 Mon 05-Oct-09 13:21:18

Message withdrawn

Curiousmama Mon 05-Oct-09 13:33:41

hmm at your mum's diagnosis? Think she needs a second opinion.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now