Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

food tastes odd

(7 Posts)
TheWheelsOnTheBusHaveFallenOff Sat 03-Oct-09 15:05:48

Can anyone shed any light please? -

I've had a cold and have been blocked up for about 10 days (nasty catarrh, sorry if TMI) and since it began, a lot of food tastes really horrible, in particular coffee, chocolate, other sweet things, fruit, vegetables and wine.

The first bite is ok, but as it goes down everything suddenly tastes off, rather ashey and bitter.

Just wondering if it's linked to the cold or if it's something else. Have never had this with any other cold / catarrh before. Also wondering how long it's going to be until food tastes good again?!

Thanks.

Pinkwine Sat 03-Oct-09 15:21:12

Any chance you could be pregnant and the cold is masking the signs slightly?

NorbertDentressangle Sat 03-Oct-09 15:22:10

Have you eaten any pine nuts recently?

TheWheelsOnTheBusHaveFallenOff Sat 03-Oct-09 15:30:29

definitely not pregnant.

have had pesto but haven't had pine nuts on their own.

NorbertDentressangle Sat 03-Oct-09 15:41:33

I mentioned the pine nuts thing as back last year I had the most awful bitter taste in my mouth for a couple of weeks. It was so bad that it put me off eating as everything tasted foul and the bitterness intensified when I ate.

Anyway after a bit of googling I found several mentions of people getting the same problem after eating pinenuts. IIRC they were pinenuts from a particular country.

I had had pinenuts (when nobody else in the family had) just before the bitter taste appeared so put it down to that

NorthernNell Sat 03-Oct-09 16:32:08

Any pain in your face? - when I have sinusitis everything tastes 'wrong'.
You could try taking some decongestants,they may help.

TheWheelsOnTheBusHaveFallenOff Sat 03-Oct-09 19:29:54

thanks, will try decongestant; don't htink it can be pine nuts just from pesto...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now