Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can anyone advise me on contraception choices- implant V coil?

(5 Posts)
ilikeyoursleeves Thu 01-Oct-09 22:19:29

I wasn't sure where to post this but I'm just looking for advice re contraception choices. We've not had to think about this for about 7 years as we were TTC for 5 years for DS1 and needed IVF in the end. Then DS2 was conceived naturally (huge surprise!!!) last year so my GP said I should now assume I'm fertile

However, we don't want any more DC's quite yet so I need to consider contraception. I don't want to go on the pill and condoms are a bit of a PITA really, so I'm thinking of either the coil or that implant thing? Can anyone give me any advice on pros and cons of each of these? Any side effects?

Thanks!

ChunkyKitKat Thu 01-Oct-09 22:39:58

No idea about implants, but I had the mirena coil fitted, I don't have periods now, only slight bleeding sometimes, and find it very convenient not having to remember the pill!

I bled quite alot when it was fitted, but everything has settled down.

PleaseDontCallMeHunOrHugMe Thu 01-Oct-09 22:41:20

I have had the implanon since March and haven't had a period since. No side affects with me.

Just have it fitted then forget about it for 3 years.

purplepeony Fri 02-Oct-09 09:05:01

Obviously implants are hormonal and you might get side effects. The coil is good and you could try the Mirena.

moaningminniewhingesagain Fri 02-Oct-09 11:47:03

I decided against the implant because the mini pill doesn't agree with me, same hormone. I got a Mirena in April, had lots of minor spotting for ages but hardly any now and it's fine. The FPA website has lots of good info on contraceptive options, here there's a section specifically about after having a baby, hth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now