Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Paranoid re: spit up

(9 Posts)
Naintara Wed 08-Jun-05 14:54:34

Hi everyone, I'm a new mum probably being very paranoid about my 3 week old dd but would be very grateful for some quick advice. Since last night she's been spitting up after a feed more than usual and much more fussy than normal. Today she's also been a lot easier to put down for a nap (after being up for about 1hr 40 min - usually stays up for over 2 hrs before I can get her to sleep). I don't know whether to ring the midwife / doctor - she's not projectile vomitting, she's still doing poos, and she's just bringing back milk. Has she just got a dodgy stomach today and is it something that will pass or should I get her checked out?

moondog Wed 08-Jun-05 14:57:10

Wouldn't worry naintara,unless it's a whole feed? Is she bottle fed? If so,I believe it's more common.

Twiglett Wed 08-Jun-05 14:59:02

she sounds totally fine .. babies change a lot in the first few weeks .. she may well be fighting a mild bug but TBH I wouldn't worry

the main symptoms to look out for at this age regarding illness and consulting medical people are

.. not weeing for 24 hours .. depressed fontanelle .. high fever (39+) .. and of course rashes that don't blanche

your baby sounds totally fine

if you are ever worried call NHS direct they have a checklist they can run through with you 0845 46 47

and whatever you do, don't feel foolish .. if you decide you do want her checked out then do it .. mother's instinct rules and GPs would prefer to see you than not

HTH

NotQuiteCockney Wed 08-Jun-05 14:59:12

My DS2 was quite pukey. Some babies are just pukey, and they puke more or less at various times. Now, at 8 months+, he pukes only rarely.

A whole feed is a lot (and even then, it's only if they bring up a few whole feeds in a row, that you need to worry).

starshaker Wed 08-Jun-05 15:00:25

if i were you i would give the health visitor a call not because i think there is something wrong but to put ur mind at rest. dd did this a couple of weeks ago and i took her to the docs he said he would rather see a healthy baby than not see a ill one and babies can get ill quite quick. wont tell you what happened later as dont want to scare you but im sure she is fine

Twiglett Wed 08-Jun-05 15:00:53

oh this is a good trick

take a muslin and tip out a tablespoon of milk onto it .. then watch how far it spreads .. milk is amazingly deceptive in terms of how much it actually is when it comes back up

Hausfrau Wed 08-Jun-05 15:06:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Naintara Wed 08-Jun-05 15:08:57

Hi, thanks for your replies. She's breastfed. I guess I'm worrying about whether she's suddenly developed reflux or not. I've rung and left a message with the HV, better to put my mind at ease. I guess I'm most preturbed about why she's been easier to get to sleep today than usual. Maybe I should be grateful.

moondog Wed 08-Jun-05 15:12:17

Welcome to the non stop worry and paranoia that is motherhood,naintara!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now