Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is food poisoning infectious?

(7 Posts)
Shitemum Thu 01-Oct-09 19:10:57

We have some friends staying who went out to a cafe and their nearly 2 yo had a bagel with cream cheese. He spent the whole night throwing up. By midday the next day he was better but started to have diarrhea. The next day, yesterday, his dad was sick. They have been away for 2 days and are coming back to stay again tomorrow for one night. Does this sound like food poisoning or a virus? Can food poisoning be infectious?

We have a kids bday party here on Saturday and I want to be prepared......

RubysReturn Thu 01-Oct-09 19:15:33

Pretty sure it can be eg salmonellam especially if you are dealing with bodily fluids eg caring for a poorly child. Isn't that why you have to be free of bugs when workign in catering?

RubysReturn Thu 01-Oct-09 19:17:43

doh salmonella and I think it happens when poor hygiene contaminates food

OnlyWantsOneFartleBerry Thu 01-Oct-09 19:18:26

I wuld have thought that if bug, it is viral.

If food poisoning its bacterial - so you could get sick either way.

If you want to avoid it, keep good hygene rulls. Keep washing your hands and your DC and dont have them back to stay til they are better

Phone the cafe and ask if they have any one else reported ill, or a member of staff had a bug?

JackBauer Thu 01-Oct-09 19:23:09

Food poisoning doesn't normally make you throw up, it is normally diarrhea, and his dad would be ill at the same time if he ate the same thing. It sounds like a virus IMO, can you quarantine them (in a ncie way, obviosulysmile)

wheredidiputit Thu 01-Oct-09 20:56:51

Sounds like the bug dd1 bought home from school on wednesday.

She was sick wed night and i had D&V yesterday.
It does seem to go within 24hours.

I would ask them not to come, so you don't get it.

I even phone dh who was away on business not to ask his boss in when they got back yest afternoon because i didn't want to pass it on.

Shitemum Thu 01-Oct-09 23:06:30

Thanks everyone.
We can't really ask them not to come, they are just staying overnight prior to flying back to Germany on Saturday...

We do go in for quite a lot of handwashing in this house and the wee boy is a bit shy and tends to observe or sit on his mum or dad's lap rather than join in or touch the toys much so hopefully we'll be ok. His parents didn't eat the same as him in the cafe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now