Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Most awful chicken pox on teenager's face

(6 Posts)
springlamb Thu 01-Oct-09 09:16:30

DS(14) woke up with the most awful chickenpox on Monday morning. I'd sort of hoped he'd bypassed it as he never got it when the others did, but blimey it's caught up with us now. Those who know me will know DS has enough to deal with without now having chicken pox scars all over his face!

Any suggestions on how to minimise any scarring on his previously beautiful skin. I've been using oat/bicarb washes and of course the old calamine and they are drying up and shrinking quickly but they are very very red.

I had thought something like Bio Oil might help but I suspect it's too soon to start using something oily/creamy.

murphyslaw Thu 01-Oct-09 10:42:57

I think you are doing all you can!

I caught chicken pox along with my kids when I was 30. Luckily I dont have any scars but my son has a couple on his face.

We used calamine to soothe the itching.

Hope he is feeling better soon.

alypaly Thu 01-Oct-09 10:48:51

they will go as long as he doesnt pick the scabs. My eldest DS had over 200 spots on his body and it even affected his willy and bum.
I was told it can affect the digestive tract if it is bad and it certainly did with DS1.
Thankfully he has only got one scar which is the one he picked behind his ear.

alypaly Thu 01-Oct-09 10:50:30

calmanine as murphyslaw is goos but because of his age i would use calamine in aqueous cream as it doesnt leave that pink podery look on the skin.

Aveeno oatmeal sachets in the bath and piriton tablets to sooth the itch

springlamb Thu 01-Oct-09 12:19:26

Thanks all. I just want to cry for him, it's so awful.
We are also really getting on each others' nerves stuck in like this. I just risked a little walk to give him some fresh air and sun but we dashed back when we saw a toddler in the distance!
Everytime I go near him he shouts 'stop staring at me!'. And you can imagine his discomfort when I have to get too low with the calamine (he can't do it himself as he has cerebral palsy). Poor love.
I have pictures to show prospective DILs.

campion Thu 01-Oct-09 13:30:11

I was covered in horrible spots with chickenpox at the age of 32 - so bad my then 4yr old Ds ( he who gave it to me!) wouldn't come near me I looked so bad. My face ( and everywhere you could name) was covered and I now have precisely one scar on my arm.

Don't think I had the energy to pick them as I felt really ill and the doc gave me a course of antibiotics as my glands were swollen at the base of my skull, so maybe that helped.
I did find calamine soothing, and Eurax cream.

Certainly an illness to take seriously, especially after childhood ( and during). The mere mention of it gives me a shudder remembering how bad I felt.

Hope your son feels better soon smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now