Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

General Anaesthetic & Asthma

(13 Posts)
Louise1980 Wed 08-Jun-05 10:52:10

My ds2 (almost 3) has to go under a general anesthetic to have a broken tooth removed. He suffers asthma. Will this make any difference to the surgery?

Will he be ok? Has anyone had to put their asthmatic child under a ga? Im really scared. It wont be straight forward either as all the fragments of tooth need to be removed.

Louise1980 Wed 08-Jun-05 10:56:27

Bump

Louise1980 Wed 08-Jun-05 12:36:29

BUMP

Nemo1977 Wed 08-Jun-05 12:43:22

hi i havent had my own child but i have asthma, have done from childhood and it has never affected any procedures. I had ops when younger for herniated belly button and had erpc in dec...as long as medical staff are aware it didnt actually cause any problems.

Louise1980 Wed 08-Jun-05 18:29:02

Thanks Nemo. I will find out tomorrow exactly whats happening.

Nemo1977 Wed 08-Jun-05 20:05:34

good luck louise hope all goes well for ds.

charleepeters Wed 08-Jun-05 20:22:46

i have had many genral and local anesthetics and i suffer from asthma it didnt make any difference, i had some teeth out im sure he will be fine

dolally Thu 09-Jun-05 08:48:18

my 8 yr old dd had a Ga for lip surgery (lip was tied to the gum inside) She has mild asthma, she was ABSOLUTELY FINE!

Arabica Thu 09-Jun-05 13:31:51

I think so long as your asthma is stable, a GA will be fine. The only time I've ever been refused a GA was literally 2 days after I'd been admitted to hospital with an asthma attack.

Louise1980 Fri 10-Jun-05 00:12:17

Well its all set for tuesday morning at 9:30am. Im dreading it. Dentist today said same as our own dentist. There are atleast 3 fragments of tooth which will need to be removed. She gave me 3 options, numbing injection only, numbing injection and laughing gas or GA. She suggested as he is so young and he has to have the fragments removed, the roots removed and possibly needing cleaning that a GA was best.

I will probably be on here on monday night needing your support guys as Im absolutly terrified. I feel awful for having to do this and just wich it would fall out but that wouldnt stop the surgery.

mears Fri 10-Jun-05 00:17:09

Please do not worry - anaesthetists GA children with asthma all the time. The anaesthetic will be very light and short lasting, long enough to get surgery done. Your DS will be very closely monitored throughout and it will be a senior anaesthetist as it is a child.

Arabica Fri 10-Jun-05 12:30:43

Hope you're feeling a little more reassured and let us know how the patient gets on!

oliveoil Wed 15-Jun-05 12:46:21

How did it go?

xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now