Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Mouth Ulcers

(8 Posts)
Marioandluigi Wed 30-Sep-09 16:47:49

Why do I keep getting them? At the moment I have three, and I seem to get rid of them and more pop up. They are really painful too

Is there anything I can do to stop getting them?

geraldinetheluckygoat Wed 30-Sep-09 16:52:54

ouch, they do really hurt, I went through a spate of getting them. I usually get them if I am stressed or really tired. Also got LOADS once when I used colgate whitening toothpaste (i think it was this make anyway), they went as soon as I stopped using it.

KurriKurri Wed 30-Sep-09 17:08:50

I had very bad mouth ulcers when i was having chemo earlier this year, tip from my doctor was to dissolve two soluble asprin in half a glass of water and use as a mouthwash/gargle (ie don't swallow) several times a day. Chemo unit also recommended fresh pineapple, the enzymes in it are supposed to help in cleansing the mouth (warning can sting on very raw skin!) HTH

dareisayit Wed 30-Sep-09 17:27:37

Do you smoke?
Do you brush your teeth regularly and floss?

Pineapple and papaya contain enzymes which reduce swelling. (After OP for example.)

dareisayit Wed 30-Sep-09 17:29:50

Also found if you don't take any milk products for a few weeks they go away.

tvaerialmagpiebin Wed 30-Sep-09 17:41:52

I suffer from these and found this site quite interesting and useful (although sadly nothing has made the damn things go away). My dentist referred me to the maxillo-facial unit at the hosp and I saw a consultant who aid thatsadly thre is not much rhyme or reason to why some people get them, and altough they can be a sign of being run-down, or vitB deficiency, there is not really any evidence to show that taking extra vitB makes any difference.

Soluble aspirin helps a bit,most over-the-counter stuff a waste of money, I have tried 'em all.

Marioandluigi Wed 30-Sep-09 18:48:57

Thnaks for your advice. I will look at that site.

I dont smoke, but I am a bit run down - quite stressed at the moment. I have some soluble asprin left over from my last pregnancy, so will give it a go. I tried that Bonjela Once and it nearly blew my head off it was so painful!

tvaerialmagpiebin Wed 30-Sep-09 19:16:11

Yes it does sting a bit! Mind you, the numbing effect is worth it, even if it is just enough to let you drop off to sleep or get you through a tricky spot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now