Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Nits

(9 Posts)
NeedaNewName Wed 30-Sep-09 09:17:12

Sorry I know its been done to death but not sure what else to do.

I've bloody got them DD's seem to have gone but I will be doing us all again tonight!

Felt a bit itvhy for a few days so decided to use nit comb on my hair with conditioner and found a few live ones but ouldn't see any eggs (though to ber honest not sure what I'm looking for!)

Still felt itchy on Monday so used the Full MArks Solution and again combed through.

Still felkt itchy yesterday so did what my mum suggested and used vinegar.

Guess what, I'm still bloody itchy!! Now not sure if its in my imagination or if I still have any but short of shaving my hair off (something I'm not that keen on doing!) what do you suggest I do now? Obviously I'm not keen on using any more chemicals but this is driving me mad. I desperately need a hair cut but can't go to the hairdressers with nits.

laurasarah Wed 30-Sep-09 13:35:37

I've had this problem for a while.

Mu eldest daughter had them before school broke up for Summer for weeks. Over Summer got rid of them then a few weeks back at school and shes got them again. I did have them the last time but not now.

Buy the big Nitty Gritty Comb from Boots (bout £10.00) use it every night for a week, ie wash hair condition and then comb.. Bit of a pain but the only way to break the cycle of eggs.

I'm going through the same thing at the moment too!

Geocentric Wed 30-Sep-09 13:39:37

We had the Nits From Hell a few years ago - I used almost every product on the market and it didn't work. Along the same lines of vinegar, someone suggested I use a well-known brand of soft drink (the one that starts with a c), and it did seem to do the trick! I wet my and DDs hair well, put on a shower cap and a towel and left it for a good 30 mins... Very sticky and drippy but coincidence or not, the blasted creatures left the building.

dareisayit Wed 30-Sep-09 13:55:59

Hiya, what drink did you use. I had them twice within 2 months and I'm terrified of them returning.

Btw: we can only get the silicone stuff here, not the chemical solutions.

Geocentric Wed 30-Sep-09 13:57:01

c o k e wink

dareisayit Wed 30-Sep-09 13:58:13

sorry, just saw the c thing.

m a bit daft.

I used solutions with permethrin. lyclear has similar chemical ingredient (sic)

Try that, it blasted them.

But we cannot buy it here, very annoying. Will stock up on coke just in case.

dareisayit Wed 30-Sep-09 14:03:01

Thank you GC. smile

ilovegarlic Wed 30-Sep-09 14:15:20

IVe never encountered headlice until my d age 4 went for school visits - only did 2 and he came back with them. This is what I did and it got rid of them within one week:

1. Shamppo hair and use tea tree conditioner to make smooth
2. get a nitty gritty comb - dont mess about with any others this is the bee knees and well worth the £10
3. section into 4 then comb through each section from scalp down the hair shaft - wash comb after each comb.
4. Treat whole family with Lyclear, or Headrin ... we slept in the stuff overnight
5. Wash hair in morning and comb through again.
6. I combed through each morning and night for 7 days and had nothing since

We do the comb through with conditioner now every other night. Inform the school also as matter of courtesy so they can inform other parents

NeedaNewName Thu 08-Oct-09 21:19:34

THanks all - sorry wan;t able to get on for a while.

Did go out and get the nitty grity comb- very good. Seems to have done the trick - no more itching - til the next time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now