Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any dentistry people about ?

(6 Posts)
cat64 Tue 29-Sep-09 23:14:10

Message withdrawn

EccentricaGallumbits Tue 29-Sep-09 23:16:51

don't know how long a whole cap lasts but it's not forever and would need regular replacing.

I broke both my front teeth, aged 10. snapped in half. Didn't have them capped but had a sort of matching bit of plastic type stuff stuck on somehow (using ultra-violet light??) You can't see the join at all.

But every couple of years one side or the ther falls off and have to get them redone. And because it is 'cosmetic' I have to pay.

sandcastles Tue 29-Sep-09 23:29:08

Starting with not crowning (capping the tooth):

The chip could be repaired in some cases with a composite material that matches his tooth colour.

Of course, this would depend on the amount of lost tooth structure. But in many cases it can be done.

But, because of the pressure that the tooth took, it could start to discolour (when the nerve inside dies), thus leading to a root canal treatment.

After this, he might want it bleached to help it 'blend in' to the natural colour of the other teeth. IME, this isn't a long term colour fix & the tooth can start to fade back to the darker colour. So, possible repeated bleachings.

It maybe that a veneer is advised, but they are difficult to match up on one tooth alone & sometimes, if the tooth is very discoloured, it is hard to disguise.

Also, a root treated tooth becomes very brittle, so a crown may be advised. They usually last around 5-10 years, depending on how it is looked after & how well fitted it is.

If you go with crowning straight off, he may be advised to have a root canal treatment first. Some dentists prefer to do it this way.

Then crowned once that is done. But again, the crown will only last some years & will need changing at some point in his life. Maybe even several times (seeing that he is just 10) as his mouth grows & changes & fair wear & tear of the crown.

So:
If start with the composite

Filling
Poss RCT due to discolouration
Bleaching
Veneer/crown (requiring replacement over the years)

Start with Crown
Poss RCT
Crown (requiring replacement over the years)

CarGirl Tue 29-Sep-09 23:34:00

I've got a damaged front tooth they can't patch it anymore so I live with it looking awful or have to have it crowned.

££££££££££££££££££££££s

cat64 Tue 29-Sep-09 23:47:25

Message withdrawn

sandcastles Wed 30-Sep-09 00:07:30

I guess it would really depend on how well the original repair is, sometime they can last for years. But then you do have to factor in discolouration etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now