Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

in as panic re op - pls reassure!

(5 Posts)
PanicStation Tue 29-Sep-09 13:43:35

I´ve just been told I have to have an operation, soon, and am terrified. I´m not allowed a GA due to asthma, which I would prefer actually, and don´t know how I am going to cope for 1.5 hrs or thereabouts while they do the procedure. I know I will be able to see some of it and feel sick at the prospect. What do you do when immobilized on the operating theatre slab? Read the paper?!

I´m also worried about a long recovery period and how to arrange childcare in this time. I have 2 los to care for, DH can not take so much time off work, no family or friends to help.

Problem also compounded as I am abroad and don´t even understand the language. IME, the medical staff don´t speak much English either : (

Can anyone reassure me? I´ve witnessed first hand terrible mistakes made in surgery, which is probably what worries me the most, also that the problem will never be solved and can only get worse. So not much to look forward to...

norksinmywaistband Tue 29-Sep-09 13:47:16

IPod with a story book downloaded should be ok.
I was in surgery for well over an hour when I had DS as the Planned cs did not go as planned. TBH the time passes very quickly.
Can you hire a nanny for a couple of weeks to give you some help or can family come over on a working holiday.

Sorry you are having to deal with this

PanicStation Tue 29-Sep-09 13:51:45

Thanks, is a normal book not ok then?

The nanny idea may be a good one, just afraid there is not enough time to find one!

MmeLindt Tue 29-Sep-09 13:55:01

I second the iPod. That way you can close your eyes and concentrate on the story. Get something VERY interesting.

Where abouts are you? Maybe there is a MNetter nearby who could help you out a bit. I am in Switzerland, but I am guessing you are somewhere more exotic if the hospital staff do not speak English.

norksinmywaistband Tue 29-Sep-09 16:55:27

Normal book would be a problem, as they need to attatch various stuff to your arms and moving can interfere with the readings( blood pressure, sats monitor, IV fluids)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now