Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Oh bugger - smear test few weeks ago, nurse just rang..

(25 Posts)
NormaStanleyFletcher Tue 29-Sep-09 13:41:17

.. and said "have you had a letter from the hospital yet?"

They have found abnormal cells (severe dyscariosis [sp?]). She was very nice and re-assuring.

Feel a bit shakey

Refuse to google

Bugger bugger bugger buggery-shitwankarsefuck

I have just been asked to start my new job part time while my security clearance is being processed.

Thank you for listening

And <<breathe>>

vickiadele Tue 29-Sep-09 13:42:59

dont google, it will make u panic more hmm

FabBakerGirlIsBack Tue 29-Sep-09 13:43:54

I take it you haven't got your letter yet?

<I googled for you>

TrillianAstra Tue 29-Sep-09 13:43:56

There are tonnes of false positives, they have to follow up but it likely to be nothing. Even if it is something, if you've been having regular smears it's likely to be a small thing.

randomtask Tue 29-Sep-09 13:44:05

Don't worry. If your cells are abnormal enough they'll bring you in for a colposcopy(sp?) which in my experience, doesn't hurt and is quite quick. That checks what's there and then they deal with it. I had cold coagulation (which burns off the bad cells) which only hurt a bit and meant all the bad stuff was gone. My sister had the 'worst' you can get before it's cancer and was absolutely fine just needed an operation for them to remove the cells.

You will be fine. And your job will be up and running properly soon I'm sure. smile

randomtask Tue 29-Sep-09 13:45:13

Oh by the way, I had a few 'abnormal smears' before they even saw me and I still suspect it was due to me changing my pill.

And never ever google anything (please learn from my ongoing mistakes)!

Guad Tue 29-Sep-09 13:45:17

I had this a couple of times. They do an outpatient treatment and while this sort of thing is never the nicest way to spend time it is very quick.

Try not to worry too much, it's very common and quite likely to be the end of it. smile

NormaStanleyFletcher Tue 29-Sep-09 13:46:28

My smears might not have been quite as regular as they should have been blush

Thank you all for reassuring words

NormaStanleyFletcher Tue 29-Sep-09 13:48:07

I think she said letter was for a colposcopy [sp]

If I haven't received it by the end of the week then call them back

MmeLindt Tue 29-Sep-09 13:51:23

Just googled for you. All that means is that there are some abnormal cells and they should be treated.

They are not cancerous cells, but need to be treated. Shall I cut and paste the info?

(((hugs))) and (((Swiss Chocs)))

randomtask Tue 29-Sep-09 13:53:25

Colposcopy is basically like a smear except they put a camera inside you to look for bad cells. They then put dye or iodine (can't remember which) on the bad bits to see how bad. As someone has said, not very enjoyable but not to bad and very quick.

Don't worry about not having had regular smears now, severe dyscariosis is not the worst result you get and can be easily treated. Just learn from this and go regularly from now on.

NormaStanleyFletcher Tue 29-Sep-09 14:04:46

OK - Thank you all

Can do MMeLindt

I am feeling a bit calmer

<<beats self up over not going since DD was born>>

MmeLindt Tue 29-Sep-09 14:12:25

"All these results mean that cells have been found on your smear that were pre-cancerous. This does not mean you have cervical cancer. It means that some of the cells were slightly abnormal and that if they were left untreated, they could go on to develop into cervical cancer

You usually only need treatment once. Then you have follow up smears. If you do have an abnormal smear and have successful treatment you are very unlikely to get cervical cancer (provided you continue being screened)."

That sounds reassuring, doesn't it? That was from the Cancer Research website.

Don't worry to much about the last smear. Even stage 3 (severe cell changes) is very very treatable. You went, it has been caught. Focus on that.

NormaStanleyFletcher Tue 29-Sep-09 14:37:11

Thank you trillian, Random. Guad and MmeL.

Fab- no I don't have the letter yet.

Right. I am going for a peaceful drive to get dinner (leaving DD with DH), with a Mars Bar blush.

I will take my mind off it with the donations half of the Christmas Appeal spreadsheet this evening.

mummygogo Tue 29-Sep-09 17:37:02

Yes definitely don't google. I do believe that if you google any part of your anatomy it will always come up with the most sinister of ailments that could possibly be inflicted on such parts of said anatomy.

An abnormal smear is not at all uncommon, my friend had some cells that needed to be zapped once and everything was fine after that.

hellsbelles Tue 29-Sep-09 17:40:52

try not to worry too much - I had the same and then had the actual treatment after a colposcopy confirmed....and all is fine now - I since have had normal smears. If it's caught in the early stages it really isn't bad

spicemonster Tue 29-Sep-09 17:51:40

Can I make a recommendation re the colposcopy? If they ask you if you want to have a look at the screen just say no. You really, really do not want to see the inside of your fanjo blown up in hideous technicolour.

And yes, do not worry. If they were really worried, they would get you in tomorrow and sort you out. What you have happens to loads of women. Colposcopies are really posh smears but you do have to go to hospital and wear and gown with your bum showing which isn't that fun. My sister and I used to have to have them every year (for an entirely different reason) and decided that we would have the rest of the day off, watch crappy videos and eat ice cream afterwards as we deserved it. I highly recommend you do the same.

BecauseImWorthIt Tue 29-Sep-09 17:54:59

Step away from Google!

This is why you have check ups - to prevent anything more serious from developing. They have caught something before it gets worse.

This is a good thing!

Even if it doesn't feel like it right now ...

mazzystartled Tue 29-Sep-09 17:56:46

I#ve had to have a couple of colposcopies (one for dodgy smear, and then twice for polyps)

Really truly its no biggie. At our hospital you can just wear your own clothes. Certainly no worse than a smear, and there is usually a nice, kind, older nurse there (along with the person carrying out the procedure) who will ask you where you are going on holiday/hold your hand if you need it.

Obviously there are more fun ways to spend an afternoon.....

RumourOfAHurricane Tue 29-Sep-09 17:59:17

Message withdrawn

NormaStanleyFletcher Tue 29-Sep-09 18:02:10

Oh I don't know about seeing the screen Might be terrifying interesting

I just hope to god they don't ask me to go in on one of the (very few) days I am meant to be working. New company with a big work ethic.

I suppose that is a good sign though. You have calmed me down enough to be worrying about the trivial.

FanjolinaJolie Tue 29-Sep-09 18:02:14

I have had this.

The colposcopy is not scary at all, like a smear but they peer up your fanjo with a scope/head torch and have a gander at your cervix. They may take a sample called a punch biopsy, this didn't hurt as such (no nerve endings in cervix) a bit weird though. In my case the biopsy itself was larger than the abnormal 'patch' of cells. So that solved the problem.

Often a further analysis of the sample shows that the cells are changing but still normal.

I know you will be worried but try not too, all will be fine in the end.

argento Tue 29-Sep-09 18:06:13

I had the same thing recently - abnormal smear then had to go for a colposcopy.

Colposcopy took 10 minutes max, no different from the smear test. I wore my own clothes, just had to strip from the waist and lie on the couch. If they had seen any problems they could have treated them there and then, but actually once the doctor had a look he decided the cells weren't abnormal anyway and that was it.

BellaNoirisanAunty Tue 29-Sep-09 21:55:52

Can I suggest you read the BSCCP website which is written by colposcopists for women.
The colposcope is a special camera that's used with a speculum so it's a bit like having a fancied up smear test. They can get a good look at your cervix and check it out.
Severe dyskaryosis is very treatable and they may offer either biopsies or possibly a loop which removes the affected area.
There should be some wiggle room on appointment depending on where you are but they won't be able to do it whilst you're having a period. You are unlikely to need any further treatment but will need to have follow up smears.
Another useful website is the NHS CSP, the leaflet which should come with your result letter is here.
I work in a cervical screening lab but also have had a Loop so I've seen both sides of it. Please try not too worry.

NormaStanleyFletcher Wed 30-Sep-09 09:42:47

Thank you fanjo, argento and Bella.

Will check out that web site.

I really do feel much better, so thank you to everyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now