Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

On Wednesday it might be Goodbye from me.

(153 Posts)
FabBakerGirlIsBack Sun 27-Sep-09 20:02:38

I am going in to hospital for a biopsy and will be having a general anaesthetic. I have told DH I might not wake up (is that possible) so just in case....

<scared>

whomovedmychocolate Sun 27-Sep-09 20:03:43

Nah, you are far too popular on here to snuff it. Tis not allowed wink

But congrats on the novel flouncing method grin

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sun 27-Sep-09 20:04:32

Totally inappropriate but lol.

costagirl Sun 27-Sep-09 20:05:51

Oh poor you, it is frightening. I remember sobbing when I was wheeled down for a GA for a minor op - when the nurse asked what was wrong I just cried and said "I might not wake up and see my children again." She was lovely and gave me a hug. I felt very silly afterwards. blush

You'll be fine - think how many thousands of anaesthetics are done every day with no prob. But it's natural to feel scared, so don't worry.

whyme2 Sun 27-Sep-09 20:05:57

Very dramatic way to go though. Have you chosen your coffin yet?

Seriously I am sure you'll be fine. Hope it all goes well for you and you get nicely looked after in your recovery. smile

Crapweasel Sun 27-Sep-09 20:06:34

Would it help if everyone who has had a GA and has woken up posted on this thread? smile

I suspect it would break Mumsnet.

Seriously, if you are really worried then speak to the hospital who can put your mind at rest with proper statistics.

Good luck with the surgery. "See" you on Thursday.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sun 27-Sep-09 20:07:00

Funnily enough, whyme2, I have - ages ago.

mmrsceptic Sun 27-Sep-09 20:07:32

you'll be back, mning from hospital bed about how your bum flashed out of the backless gown as you were getting on the trolley grin

good luck with biopsy

MollieO Sun 27-Sep-09 20:09:41

I've had several GAs and am still here (I think!). Hope it goes well.

Hulababy Sun 27-Sep-09 20:10:30

Good luck with the surgery and hope all goes to plan.

I had a GA for first time a couple of years ago, and then again 3 months after that. I was terrified, but it was okay.

I did have a dreadful sore throat afterwards which I had nt been told of. Make sure you have loads of soft chilled foods to eat, that slip down nicely - and lots and lots of liquids.

Crapweasel Sun 27-Sep-09 20:10:38

Good point mmrsceptic, we could post on all things OP should be worrying about instead.

For a start, get yourself over to Style & Beauty for some lady garden topiary tips. Or the nurses will talk about you behind your back wink

mmrsceptic Sun 27-Sep-09 20:10:54

oh, yes, also have had a GA

whomovedmychocolate Sun 27-Sep-09 20:11:23

I would be a bad person to ask Crapweasel but look even I'm still here FBG!!!!

Unless you have breathing difficulties/are old or have a heart condition, it's very unlikely you'll have even the slightest problem. The sandmen are very well trained and very cautious!

mmrsceptic Sun 27-Sep-09 20:11:53

grin crap

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sun 27-Sep-09 20:12:07

Oh crap, I have to wax too?????? I am not due my appointment nor do I have the time. Shoot.

whyme2 Sun 27-Sep-09 20:12:57

This kind of thing always makes you think of the "what ifs". And it is scary, remember what crapweasel posted - loads of people have a general anaesthetic everyday and been fine.
Wishing you flowers and chocolates to make it all worthwhile.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sun 27-Sep-09 20:13:00

I do have breathing difficulties sometimes shock[cries].

mmrsceptic Sun 27-Sep-09 20:13:17

i hear the mouthpiece can smudge your lipstick summat shocking

Rubyrubyruby Sun 27-Sep-09 20:13:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mmrsceptic Sun 27-Sep-09 20:14:14

fab you'll be fine <whale-type soothing noises>

you'll be fine

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sun 27-Sep-09 20:15:09

Luckily I don't wear make up - not allowed it anyway nor nail polish.

mmrsceptic Sun 27-Sep-09 20:15:49

so next week will you be ""fabbakergirlisbackisback"

and stop crying your mascara will run

smile

whomovedmychocolate Sun 27-Sep-09 20:16:16

Specifically do you have a pneumothorax (collapsed lung), pneumonia, or pleurisy? If not, that's not what I meant by breathing difficulties. Now calm down you big numpty.

ThingOne Sun 27-Sep-09 20:17:03

What's waxing wink?

I've had several GAs. I'm fine! I was, however, absolutely terrified before the first one.

mmrsceptic Sun 27-Sep-09 20:17:15

i keep x posting with you fab

don't fret

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now