Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How bad does a prolapse have to be before they operate? TMI alert

(4 Posts)
FredaMare Sun 27-Sep-09 17:32:42

I have a slight bladder prolapse, nothing protruding, fortunately, but at various times during my cycle I feel more uncomfortable (today for instance). Unfortunately, due to my age (mid-40s), I can't match up the discomfort with a period because I never know when I'm going to get one. I'm very diligent with the pelvic floor exercises, always have been, and am uptight that this has happened anyway!

So, actually I think I have several questions:

How bad does it have to be before they operate?
Does anyone else out there feel more uncomfortable at times?

purplepeony Sat 03-Oct-09 14:11:51

Bumping up for you.

It depends on how much it is affecting your life really. yes, your hormone levels can affect it- higher oestrogen seems to keep things tighter.

I had mine operated on at 35 after 2nd DC- I had it done privately so am not sure if or when the NHS would have stumped up if I'd joined the queue. I had several weeks of physio before the op, including electric stimulation of pelvic floor- but made no difference.

I had no obvious bulge outside anyway, but things were slack inside IYSWIM.

If it's any help, I have since read that the op can bemore successful if you are pre-menopause as your tissues have more strength and may recover quicker.

Have you been referred to a gynae for an opinion?

serenity Sat 03-Oct-09 14:21:51

Are you going to have more children? They are ime extremely reluctant to operate if you're going to get pregnant again. I was diagnosed with a bladder and rectal prolapse after I had DS1 (so 1998), I didn't get put on the list for surgery until 2004 (after I had DD and had sworn blind I wasn't having anymore) and finally had the surgery in 2005.

I didn't really have a problem with the bladder prolapse although that was the worst, it was the rectal one that gave me the most problems. FWIW though I was told in 1998 I'd need surgery, and I'd had no symptoms at all (it was picked up at the 6 week postnatal check)

FredaMare Sun 04-Oct-09 18:17:46

It's not part of my plan to have more children, no.

And I haven't been referred to a gynae,either. I went to the docs with it a few months ago, but felt quite dismissed by her. She gave me an information sheet on pelvic floor exercises. I'm intending to go back, though to a different GP. I just feel very uncomfortable at certain points over the month and don't know if the discomfort passes any thresholds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now