Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Just found small lump in breast :( Any positive stories please...?

(16 Posts)
MegBusset Sat 26-Sep-09 21:14:43

Noticed it while feeding DS2. It's a bit smaller than a pea (petit pois-sized maybe!) and inside the breast tissue just above the nipple.

Obviously will get to the GP asap but until then, has anyone experienced similar? I guess it could be a blocked duct but there's no pain or anything...

weaselm4 Sat 26-Sep-09 21:24:39

Hi Meg, I've had a lump - not while BF, but was bloody terrified as have a family history of breast cancer. It turned out to be a cyst, which dispersed naturally. (I'm 35)

I'm glad you are going to get it checked out, and sincerely hope it turns out to be harmless - most breast lumps are.

hocuspontas Sat 26-Sep-09 21:27:14

If it's not a blocked duct it will probably be a benign cyst (my own 'scare') Good luck!

pollywobbledoodle Sat 26-Sep-09 21:30:59

my 2 were both blocked ducts,they are really common,nearly all bfing mums in my postnatal gp got them, i hope that is what is causing yours. sending good and hopeful vibes.

MegBusset Sat 26-Sep-09 21:50:21

Thanks, glad all of yours turned out fine

polly, were your blocked ducts painful?

pollywobbledoodle Sat 26-Sep-09 22:00:42

1 was and 1 wasn't...sorry that's probably not very helpful!

pollywobbledoodle Sat 26-Sep-09 22:03:51

iirc, 1 was just a blocked duct, the other a blocked duct and mastitis and i needed antibiotics for that one (but dd is nearly 6 so all a bit hazy)

Sidge Sat 26-Sep-09 22:04:14

I had a breast lump when DD3 was about 7 months and fully breastfed. It was towards my armpit, the size of a large pea and tender when fiddled with - once I had found it I made it more tender by constantly fiddling with it!

I was fast-tracked to Breast Clinic and when they scanned it they said it was a galactocoele, or milk cyst and not unusual in women that are breastfeeding. It went away on it's own.

Always worth getting any lump checked out though so do see your GP on Monday.

Northernlurker Sat 26-Sep-09 22:04:52

The only lump I've ever had was pretty obviously an abcess type thing - hurt like mad and was the size of a golf ball so not exactly like yours. What I would say though is that the vast majority of lumps are benign. Breasts are lumpy, it's how they come and the important thing is to get anything new checked just in case - which you are doing.

MegBusset Sat 26-Sep-09 22:11:53

Thanks everyone, it's so hard not to get worried, isn't it... I read about those galactocele thingies and am clinging to that as the likeliest cause.

mummygogo Sun 27-Sep-09 10:00:51

I had a lump that was a fibroadenoma. Again it was totally harmless. They did ultrasound and biopsy to be certain. I had it taken out in the end just because it grew and bothered me. You are doing the right thing to get it looked at and you'll be surprised the amount of harmless lumps that there are. I'd never heard of a fibroad until I had it. All the best x

nikki1978 Sun 27-Sep-09 10:08:44

I bet it is a blocked duct. Try this: get a comb - one of the thin ones - and run it down your breast over the lumpquite firmly for a few minutes. It should push the milk out. I had a large firm area in my boob while bfing and this worked for me

InMyLittleHead Sun 27-Sep-09 17:27:15

Could be a "breast mouse" - they are benign. Sound quite cute really. Not sure whether you have to get them removed or not, but they are not health-threatening. Most lumps are nothing, try not to worry until you know more.

pollywobbledoodle Mon 28-Sep-09 17:32:45

hi, just wondered how you did at gp's today?

mummygogo Mon 28-Sep-09 18:33:08

the other name for my fibroad was a breast mouse and as inmylittlehead says they're nothing to worry about

MegBusset Mon 28-Sep-09 21:31:07

Hi, I didn't have time to call the GP today blush (have been out all day and just forgot!) but as the lump seems to get bigger and smaller over the day, I'm sure it's almost certainly a milk duct. Will call in the morning though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now