Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone suffer with periods of blurred vision?

(9 Posts)
fannybanjo Sat 26-Sep-09 20:58:10

For the past couple of weeks I have had every couple of days, periods of up to half an hour of my vision becoming blurred. Anyone ever had this and do you think I should get it checked by Dr or Optician?

Milliways Sat 26-Sep-09 20:59:27

Optician as first port of call. They will make a referral if necessary.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

fannybanjo Sat 26-Sep-09 21:27:24

Thanks Milliways, will make an appointment on Monday. Hopefully it is just something simple.

onepieceoflollipop Sat 26-Sep-09 21:29:11

I occasionally have this due to migraine. Sometimes it is not followed by the typical headache.

Are you on the contraceptive pill? If so read the leaflet as I think it needs checking out.

BananaPudding Sat 26-Sep-09 22:05:42

I have blurred vision when I'm getting a migraine/for a short while after it's gone away.

I also have this a)when I've been playing dd's psp for too long, and b)when I've slept with my hand jammed up against my eye. I don't know why I sleep with a hand on my face, but I do. Always wake up with strange red pressure marks on my face, too. I look like an idiot for at least half an hour blush

yama Sat 26-Sep-09 22:12:19

I had it in one eye a few weeks ago. Blurred and tunnel.

Doctor said it was a migraine caused by the end of a virus I'd had preceeding it.

It scared me I have to say.

Heated Sat 26-Sep-09 22:16:04

Yup, definitely opticians first. Then GP. Do you have any other symptoms such as achy joints?

fannybanjo Sat 26-Sep-09 22:20:13

I am wondering whether there is some connection to me stopping breast feeding and my periods coming back. The first time I noticed it was a day before I had my first period in nearly 18 months (2 weeks ago). Could it be my hormones?

mumintroll Mon 28-Sep-09 21:04:08

I would go to optician AND GP, just in case.

I had something similar a few years back, conclusion was that it was a retinal migraine - basically non-harmful except for the annoyance of it. I had an astute GP suggest that it might be due to tension in my neck restricting blood flow up the back of my neck. Went to an osteopath who worked on releasing my neck (I hold a lot of stress there) and it eventually went away. If you've been breastfeeding, that can do a job on your neck.

Note though that I did not experience any dizziness or disorientation, it was just pure blurred vision. If you're feeling dizzy or disoriented, I would got to GP as soon as possible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now