Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Devastated for my sister about her wedding...

(12 Posts)
MovingOutOfBlighty Sat 26-Sep-09 19:39:55

It seems as if many, many people at her wedding went down with vomiting and diarrhoea but only about 48 hours after the wedding. Half the guests weren't affected (my family included).

The wierd thing is, my DH and DC and I had a horrible vomit bug the week before and some people who went to the wedding are now getting ill a week or so later.

Does anyone know if this is food poisoning or just unfortunate that a guest had a stomach bug (there is alot about in our area from the sound of it) and spread it around?

MovingOutOfBlighty Sat 26-Sep-09 19:40:23

The reason why I post this is that my sister is in bits thinking that her wedding poisoned all these people.

onepieceoflollipop Sat 26-Sep-09 19:48:55

Similar thing happened in my dh's family. (not wedding but big celebration)

Half of the guests went down with terrible d&v within 24-28 hours of the party. Initially the caterers/hotel were blamed.

It later transpired that someone had bought a child with them who had actually been vomiting in the corner of the room, so in our case it was obvious what the cause was. (only a few people saw this at the time, hence blaming the hotel initially)

My sil still cannot talk about this 8 years on because she blames herself.

You could enquire at the hotel if there may have been a problem re the food (but of course they are unlikely to admit it). If you have major suspicions you could ask Environmental Health to investigate.

It is possible afaik that you and you famkily may have still been infectious (very unlikely but still possible). The fact that you and your family were fine could mean that you were immune to becoming ill with the same bug.

Imo it is possible that another guest did have a stomach bug and decided to risk it. If this is the case then I doubt they will ever admit to being the "culprit"

Your sister may have to accept that she may never find out. Kindest thing is just to try and reassure her.

onepieceoflollipop Sat 26-Sep-09 19:49:44

brought a child , not bought

cathcat Sat 26-Sep-09 19:51:16

I think if it was food poisoning then the effects would have been present about 8- 12 hours after eating, but this is only my opinion so I may be wrong. There must have been a bug passed from someone present but as you had recovered from it then I don't think you should worry that it was you.
Your poor sister though! I'm sure the guests won't hold it against her! it is just one of these unfortunate things.

MovingOutOfBlighty Sat 26-Sep-09 19:53:38

Thanks for reply onepiece.
Def not our family, it happened to us at least a week before and sounded exactly the same as how everone felt.

But...SIL did have D&V less than 48hours before the wedding.
The wedding was at an amazing venue so really surprised this could have happened and it seems really odd that folk are still coming down with it a good week later!
Sorry about your SIL. It sounds a realy overreaction but my sis is so fragile at the best of times that this is just horrible for her.
She can hardly look at the photos. sad

MovingOutOfBlighty Sat 26-Sep-09 19:54:33

Ta Cathcat.

onepieceoflollipop Sat 26-Sep-09 19:57:16

My sil is very fragile too, and easily upset. However a wedding is the biggest day of one's life so I am sure your poor sis must be suffering.

Most schools, workplaces etc specify that you should not attend after d&V until you have been clear for AT LEAST 48 hours. In our local hospital they specify 72 hours. Lots of people ime ignore this and think they will be fine within 12/24 hours.

It sounds very likely that your sil may be the cause. sad Perhaps she didn't realise that this could happen. Everyone has been very unlucky.

Is the sil concerned related to your sis that got married or is she your sil on your dh/dp's side? If your newly wedded sis doesn't know that sil may have spread it it may be best not to tell her? Or would it put her mind at rest?

cathcat Sat 26-Sep-09 19:59:46

Also it could have been passed from one of the staff at the venue who should have been off sick. The venue will never admit to this though.
sad for your sis. Hopeful she will feel better about it soon. Worse things have happened at weddings! People really do accept this is part of life (well reasonable people do!)

MovingOutOfBlighty Sat 26-Sep-09 20:00:11

She is SIL on DH side. And funnily enough, the people who went down with D and V were more the people who know us, IYSWIM.
I alreaduy floated the whole poss being my SIl thing to my sis.

I was thinking of putting a post in my sisters Facebook page saying it was my baby who had the vomiting bug and spread it around so that at least that could be a cute adorable cause rather than some undercooked scallop!

onepieceoflollipop Sat 26-Sep-09 20:04:33

I really don't think you should try and blame your baby. This could backfire as people then will assume that you were being irresponsible bringing a sick baby to a wedding.

I know you want to try and make things better for your sis.

What made it worse for my sil was my (and her) pils going on and f*ing on about how ill they had been etc etc. Several other people (mainly on dh's side) did the same. So for months people didn't focus on the celebration but the fact they had been on the loo for the following 5 days. shock

I think the only possible thing to do is to try and encourage those who were ill to play it down. e.g. focus on the fact they had an absolutely fantastic day and were only slightly ill (even if this is a white lie!)

Lovemyshoes Sat 26-Sep-09 20:06:26

I don't think for a minute that your sister is to blame.

AFAIK food poisoning comes on within a few hours not 48hours.

It sounds as if someone had a bug and they have passed it on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now