Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

"Red-eye" with camera flash - does this mean something bad with babies???

(13 Posts)
Cillapops Fri 25-Sep-09 18:44:38

I am sure I remember reading something ages ago about red-eye meaning some sort of eye defect. My baby is 10 weeks old and today I took several pictures with a flash and each one has really bad red-eye but everyone else in the picture was ok.

Am I being completely neurotic or should I be concerned?

TeamEdwardTango Fri 25-Sep-09 18:45:41

Never heard of it myself, bumping for you.

SoupDragon Fri 25-Sep-09 18:46:32

No - it's when you get one eye red and the other white. Red is normal.

MmeLindt Fri 25-Sep-09 18:47:40

I think that you get red eyes when you look directly at the flash, so it was probably just the angle of the photo.

franklymydear Fri 25-Sep-09 18:48:06

well it doesn't mean retinoblastoma if that's what you're thinking, it just means you're a crap photographer grin

loopylou6 Sat 26-Sep-09 23:53:10

red eye is normal, hence why u have 'red eye removal' tools. white eye is woth getting checked out.

Mumup Sat 26-Sep-09 23:57:44

As SoupDragon said, if only one eye is red, it could mean the child has a squint (eyes not aligned). In which case you should see your GP for a referral. Otherwise you should refer yourself to Photoshop.

aliasdictus Sun 27-Sep-09 17:17:00

Oh for heaven's sake, red eye is COMPLETELY normal. If an eye is looking directly at the camera flash the light will enter the eye, shoot through to the back of the eye which is covered with red membrane and blood vessels - hence red, and be reflected straight out again back to the camera lens, as a red reflection so the pupil of the eye will appear to be red. If an eye is looking slightly away from the flash then the light will not be reflected back and so the pupil will appear as the normal black. Most adults do not directly look at the flash because it is uncomfortable, babes haven't learned that yet. In the olden days black crayons and paintbrushes were used to remove red-eye on photos. Lastly, don't ever believe anything medical you see in the media, journalists are NOT scientific and just want to produce an entertaining article without any restrictions of accuracy or knowledge.

Lol
Aliasdictus

HeadFairy Sun 27-Sep-09 17:18:20

children IIRC are much more likely to get red eye in photos than adults, hence in your pictures it's just the baby that has the red eye.

Grandhighpoohba Sun 27-Sep-09 18:43:11

So, while we are on the topic, why, when he was little, did DS get gold eye? He doesn't get it anymore, at 13m. Is/was there something wrong with his eyes? It never occurred to me before.

AphroditeRocks Sun 27-Sep-09 19:53:43

here you go

Grandhighpoohba Mon 28-Sep-09 17:25:11

Sorry to be all PFB, but is it only when one eye is white that you have to worry? DS used to get both eyes that colour in photos.

fledtoscotland Mon 28-Sep-09 22:10:42

Red eye is totally normal. Its a white or opaque eye in photos thats worth investigation

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now