Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is is okay to go swimming?

(5 Posts)
pepsi Fri 25-Sep-09 13:48:52

Ive got my 11 year old niece this weekend and we plan to go swimming. She fell of her bike last Sunday and cut her knee open. By Tuesday she had got an infection in it and she had a temperature. She got antibiotics on Tue and scab is healing but the area around it is still red - her temperature has gone. Im assuming she can go swimming like this - should I put a plaster on it in the pool?

clop Fri 25-Sep-09 14:15:12

Plaster will just come off in the water.
If the wound seems at all open I would not take her in.
Probably best to wait until scab is gone or very small.

pepsi Fri 25-Sep-09 14:46:30

Yes, thats what I thought, her Mum is telling me I have to put a plaster on it, she has just told me that the scab has started to come off so it is healing up. Is the danger of going into the water passing something on to others or getting it reinfected? or indeed both. When she gets her I can take a look for myself but we may have to change our plans. Tonight we are going to a roller disco which Im unsure of as well but she was so upset when I suggested leaving it until another time and I dont want to let her down.

clop Fri 25-Sep-09 18:00:42

Almost nothing lives in chlorinated pool water, I wouldn't worry about germs spreading in the water. But the wound could reopen with the skin swelling up with water. That would probably mean more scarring, longer to heal over all, and then unlucky contact with changing room germs could encourage the infection to re-establish. I think you have to bite the bullet re chance of letting her down, sounds like you have a good plan there. Skating is awkward though, because impact if she falls could reopen the wound or otherwise aggravate it.

Plaster isn't going to keep water off the wound, even assuming it manages to stay on for long (!) hmm.

snorkie Fri 25-Sep-09 18:56:42

swimming pools are sources of infection in my experience. Ds has had several cuts/grazes get infected there & I wouldn't risk it until the wound is closed myself - especially as it's been infected once already.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now