Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Realy worried about my babies yellow teeth.... help?

(24 Posts)
Toothache Tue 07-Jun-05 08:35:49

Posted a thread on this a while ago and didn't get much of a response. But its getting worse!

Dd is 10mths old. She has had her bottom teeth in for 5mths. When they were coming in I noticed they each had a yellow spot on them. Over that past few months it's faded, but still there.

recently her top 2 have started to appear. One of them is about a 3rd of the way through and is totally yellow!

I had antiB's through out my pregnancy including a very strong course at 24 wks as I had a UTI that threatened labour.

Have i done serious damage to my dd's teeth???

And can anyone tell me if this will effect her adult teeth too???

I have an appointment for her at the Dentist, but not until the end of JULY.

Please, has anyone else experienced this?

giraffeski Tue 07-Jun-05 08:38:53

Message withdrawn

Toothache Tue 07-Jun-05 08:48:15

Thanks, oh yee of long spotty neck...

hana Tue 07-Jun-05 08:49:32

has she been on any antibiotics? sometimes they can stain or discolour baby teeth

triceratops Tue 07-Jun-05 08:52:39

My ds has terrible teeth, he is three and already has lost one of his front teeth to decay and has three fillings. It is a bit embarrasing as I imagine that while we are out and about people must think that I am a terrible mum who gives him bottles of syrup overnight and never brushes his teeth.

Unfortunatley it is a condition that he was born with and the enamel on his teeth never formed properly. I can help by limiting snacks and choosing drinks carefully and by brushing after every meal with adult toothpaste (which he hates). Dentist swears that this will not affect his adult teeth unless he is unlucky enough to loose a lot of teeth which may affect the spacing. HTH

LGJ Tue 07-Jun-05 08:53:56

Take her to the dentist and if they are stained so be it, better to have slightly dodgy coloured teeth, than be fighting for your life at 24 weeks.

Sorry that sounds harsh but isn't meant that way.

LGJ

Toothache Tue 07-Jun-05 08:55:12

She had a small course of AntiB's when she was younger, but that was long before this really yellow top tooth started coming through.

Where the yellow dots were on her bottom teeth seem to have worn away rather than the colour fade... she has a tiny ridge in the top of both of them now. Which can only mean that the yellow bits were weak and damaged and have worn away with her knawing on stuff. So what does this mean for the top front tooth that seems to be COVERED in yellow spots?

It's so obvious too.... my babies beautiful smile is not so beautiful anymore. What have I done to her?

Toothache Tue 07-Jun-05 08:56:41

LGJ - I wish it was just staining.

Thanks triceratops. Perhaps thats it then. Did you have AntiB's in your pregnancy?

triceratops Tue 07-Jun-05 09:23:06

No - no drugs, it was just a developmental thing with ds. I thought that tooth discolouration from drugs made the teeth grey rather than yellow, but your dentist will tell you more. They can't do anything about it either way, apart from putting veneers on for an adult.

I went through a stage of photoshopping ds tooth back in on the pc but I don't mind his funny smile now, hopefully I will only have to put up with it until he is 6.

kcemum Tue 07-Jun-05 09:24:00

Toothache, Can you remember the name of the antibiotics you had? Some strong antibiotics can cause disclouration of the teeth that are devoping in the unborn child. As far as I remember this will only affect the baby teeth and the adult teeth should be o.k. Your dentist will be able to tell you more, If you can rember the name I will get back to you.

triceratops Tue 07-Jun-05 09:25:11

My first dentist said that his teeth were bad because I breastfed . I believed him as well until I got a second opinion.

Toothache Tue 07-Jun-05 09:28:38

At breastfeeding comment by your Dentist!

KJcemum - It started with a C. I'll go look now on the web (ahem... in between doing my urgent weekly reports for work. ) and get back to you.

Toothache Tue 07-Jun-05 09:34:07

Kcemum - I think it was called CIPROFLOXACIN.

TracyK Tue 07-Jun-05 09:35:51

why don't you make a docs apptmnt and ask him - then you can get the name of antibs from your records. you would get an apptmnt quicker to see him??

Toothache Tue 07-Jun-05 09:37:11

TracyK - I phoned the GP and they told me to make a Dental Appointment. I spoke to my HV who said.. "Oooh never heard of that, better let the Dentist see her". I'n getting palmed off all the time. in the meantime my dd's teeth could be rotting out of her head!

TracyK Tue 07-Jun-05 09:40:15

can you get an emergency dental apptmnt - or ask your doc to refer you? My friend had probs getting her 3 yo seen by the dentist till she spent a day phoning and camping out till she got seen.

Aimsmum Tue 07-Jun-05 09:45:53

Message withdrawn

feelingold Tue 07-Jun-05 09:46:07

Both of my kids have had a couple of yellow teeth and the dentist told me that they had come through without the proper amount of enamel on them and he does not seem to think it is a problem if it is their milk teeth however my dd who is now 9 had one of her adult teeth come through at the back like this and he had to paint some 'artificial' enamel on it and so far it has been fine. I would still go to the dentist to check, but try not to worry too much.

foxinsocks Tue 07-Jun-05 09:46:25

Like triceratops, my dd's teeth are very similar.

Her back teeth are completely yellow although her front teeth don't seem to be as badly affected. I first took her to the dentist when she was around 2. First of all the dentist told me that it must have been what I was feeding her. He told me that in no uncertain terms, if I didn't cut back on her 'sweets and soft drinks' then her teeth would all succomb to tooth decay. I literally exploded in his office! At that age, given what she was eating (only plain water, loads of healthy foods) I knew it couldn't be only her diet - also I had another child by then whose teeth were fine.

Anyway, the dentist then had a closer looked and admitted that it was because her enamel hadn't formed correctly. He said it was most likely an illness that she had suffered when her teeth were first developing (she was a very poorly baby). She's 4 now and with lots of brushing, her teeth are doing OK. Apparently, her adult teeth should be unaffected.

Toothache Tue 07-Jun-05 09:54:03

Thanks everyone!

This is reassuring for me.... thought I was going to have to start saving up now for Cosmetic Dentistry when she was 16!

gingerbear Tue 07-Jun-05 09:56:07

Toothy, I bet Jasper would know - isn't she a dentist?
She hasn't posted for a long time though.

If you had tetracycline when PG that might be the cause. But the adult teeth should be fine??

kcemum Tue 07-Jun-05 10:04:05

Have checked about side effects of ciprofloxacin in pregnancy and theres no mention of tooth discolouration.

Like everyone else has said see what your dentist has to say, there may not be a problem with her adult teeth and the problems with the baby teeth sound like they can be dealt with easily

Toothache Tue 07-Jun-05 10:05:52

Thanks folks!

HappyMumof2 Tue 07-Jun-05 10:32:46

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now