Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

IBS and pregnancy-anyone been through it?

(4 Posts)
beanie35 Fri 25-Sep-09 09:13:17

I am trying for a second child after having a few miscarriages. I had my first child more than a decade ago and was blissfully unaware of ibs, in the last few years I have been diagnosed with it and am learning to live with it (know what to avoid eating, etc). What concerns me is what to do if I am lucky enough to have a successful pregnancy, what do I take for ibs?

Usually I take coloflac (peppermint oil tablets), but don't think these are allowed when pg. Also used buscopan and windezee, and imodium (on occasion).
Can't face the thought of eating dry toast and rice for 9 months sad.

moaningminniewhingesagain Fri 25-Sep-09 09:20:41

Windeze and imodium are ok, Buscopan looks like a no, not sure about the peppermint I found it just gave me cold minty runs instead of normal onesshock. I found my IBS was ok while pregnant and has been better for a while after the birth, possibly due to being on maternity leave and no shift worksmile

beanie35 Fri 25-Sep-09 12:24:53

Thanks moaning. Never noticed cold minty runs {smile}.Thank god for windeze, I shall buy a lorry load.

bacon Thu 01-Oct-09 22:23:37

I used the over the counter remedies while pregnant I didnt know you couldnt - would assume not in the first few weeks but there after cant see a problem. I had bouts of the runs which went on for days. A couple of the tablets helped loads. I didnt suffer from constipation on both pregnancies but found the IBS gave me the runs and cramps and on one occassion went to the hospital because I though I was in labour but I put it down to that because the bowels contract so strong its very similar and the nausea was horible to.

It may say on a packet advise to see GP before taking but doesnt mean you cant take it and sometimes desperation takes a hold and you have to. There were days when the pain also took hold and I had to take stronger pain killers I am sure that occassional use is fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now