Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Question for those well- acquainted with cystits /UTIs

(20 Posts)
jmontan27 Thu 24-Sep-09 19:03:26

On Sunday I came down with typical UTI symtoms, rang the emergency Dr and managed to get them to prescribe trimethoprim (I've suffered cystitis before and this always worked for me.) However, after a couple of days there was no improvement and today I was in so much pain that I went back to the docs who did a dip stick and said urine was obviously infected and that infection was probably a trimethiprim-resistant strain. He has sent it away to be analysed in the lab and in the meantime given me nitrofurantoin. Just wondered if anyone else had experienced a UTI that didn't respond to antibiotics.

Also, is this level of pain normal?: constant pain over bladder area, constant burning pain around urethra and bladder feels like it's going into spasm every time I pee and I can't relax. This feeling lasts quite a while afterwards and is doing my head in.

Any input gratefully received!

tvaerialmagpiebin Thu 24-Sep-09 19:11:17

Sadly your symptoms sound usual. Have you tried hot water bottles as well as regular ibruprofen, baths, drink a lot of water.

Although Iused to get it a lot I never had one that didn't respond to anti-bs so can't help there, sorry. Is the new drug making a difference now?

Much sympathy, it is a horrid sensation. Hope someone else will be along soon to help.

alypaly Thu 24-Sep-09 19:16:14

not uncommon to need a different antibiotic.

You can buy some Mist pot Cit from the chemist and drink loadz of water with it.
It helps with the pain and you can take with antibiotics.........tastes foul but it works

jmontan27 Thu 24-Sep-09 19:18:47

Thank you lankyalto. I've only taken one dose of the new drug, so don't feel any different yet. Pain is miserable though. Think this is the worse UTI I've had. Can't think about anything else (supposed to be packing as going away tomorrow, but can't even think about organising everyone's clothes!).

jmontan27 Thu 24-Sep-09 19:21:22

alypaly, thanks for that. Only problem is I'm currently b'feeding and lots of stuff I'd normally take I've been advised not to by the pharmacist - really sucks. Will try to drink more though!

crescent Thu 24-Sep-09 19:34:37

Can you try some bicarb in water, about half a teaspoon to a glass? Helps with the acid urine. Hope you feel better soon. Trimethoprim no longer works for me ever!

alypaly Thu 24-Sep-09 19:35:00

drink lemon barley as it helps neutralise urine and drink lots to flush out kidneys

Winebeforepearls Thu 24-Sep-09 19:40:09

Definitely try a hot water bottle over your lower abdomen. I've had really awful UTIs, and this, plus Nurofen, was the best for easing pain.

Also drinking the bicarb solution, and then lots of water.

And then pestering my GP for tests and different antibiotics.

jmontan27 Thu 24-Sep-09 19:40:40

will send dh out to purchase aforementioned bicard and lemon barley. Funnily enough my mum suggested lemon barley (she's never had cystitis) and I thought it was just an old wives tale, but obviously not

alypaly Thu 24-Sep-09 19:41:49

maybe im an old wifegrin

jmontan27 Thu 24-Sep-09 19:44:41

grin

ChristieF Mon 28-Sep-09 13:45:11

I used to have cystitis regularly but not now. An absolutely immediate way to stop the pain and burning is to swallow a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda with a glass of water. I put bicarb in mouth and then swallow all water. Use squash as tastes unpleasant. Works every time. Be aware it is salt if heart problems.

purplepeony Mon 28-Sep-09 18:04:13

Have a look at and ask any qustions on
www.cobfoundation.org

jmontan27 Mon 28-Sep-09 20:20:52

thanks. I found some out of date bicarb in the cupboard and was so desparate I took it and it did seem to ease the pain a bit.

purplepeony, that link is very helpful, with lots of info - thank you.

YummyorSlummy Tue 29-Sep-09 01:00:13

I frequently get cystitus for reasons unbeknown to myself and doctors.
Glass of cranberry juice, down it! Followed by drinking as much water as humanly possible whilst sitting in the bath (optional extras- lavender and/or tea tree oil 6 drops of each)
The water and cranberry flushes out the infection/irritant and the bath is very soothing. Tea tree oil and lavender are known to help bladder infections. Using this method I usually have myself feeling better in a couple of hours.
Also, go to the toilet after sex, and drink lots of water at times when you might be drinking more than usual. Drink cranberry juice every day to prevent future cystitus attacks!

scrimble Sun 04-Oct-09 10:11:24

It's not uncommon to have to change antibitotics as certain antibiotics treat certain bugs. So sometimes you have to switch if it's not the right one.

I find taking ibuprofen at the very earliest signs helps lots (and keep taking it as per recommended dosage). I know the general advice is to drink lots, but in my experience this can makes matters a lot worse. It just means the nerves in the bladder go into overdrive a) trying to deal with the infection and b) trying to get rid of all that excess liquid. For me, the optimum intake of water is 1/2 pint every half-hour or so.

Hot water bottles are really useful. Oddly, cystitis seems to make people feel cold, so it can be nice to have something warm to cuddle.

It's a horrid thing - you have my sympathy. The pain you describe is sadly par for the course, though if it lingers for days do follow up with your GP in case the infection hasn't quite gone.

jmontan27 Sun 04-Oct-09 22:39:21

Thank you scrimble. I have now finished the course of (new) antibiotics and I think they have done the trick. Didn't start to feel better till day 5 of abx though, so must have been quite a stubborn infection.

With regard to changing medication, I actually read that if you had taken trimethoprim in the last few months, then you are more likely to have developed a resistance so I think that's what might have happened as I was taking it 6 wks ago.

Fingers crossed the next few months will be UTI free smile

LeonieBooCreepy Sun 04-Oct-09 22:41:59

Message withdrawn

notcitrus Sun 04-Oct-09 22:48:13

Been there, complete with the same ABs...
Eventually the GP prescribed me a double quantity of nitrowotsit so I could zap the next one when it happened.

I followed the advice I got at uni which is a litre of water an hour, plus a teaspoon of bicarb (or that Cystemme stuff from the chemist which is just a costly version of 2.6g of bicarb which tastes marginally better). Bicarb doesn't go off but may get lumpy.

Avoid sugar, tight underwear, and fabric conditioner/harsh detergent on underwear - my gyno recommended Ecover. And avoid coffee, which is a git if you've been up all night on the loo. Cranberry juice as sold tends to contain shedloads of sugar but cranberries or cranberry extract may help.

Get well soon!

looneytune Mon 05-Oct-09 11:09:53

Yes, when I was pg with ds2 I had to take a AB they don't normally give to pg ladies but had no choice as i had a resistant organism which was resistant to EVERYTHING they tested against apart from this one AB.

Seems like you have it sorted now though, Bicarb of soda is definitely a good one along with cranberry juice

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now