Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ds has had 3 tick bites this year so far...

(7 Posts)
CybilLiberty Wed 23-Sep-09 20:26:34

He hasn't been to our local park , so I'm wondering if he's picking them up from the grass area at school.

Any advice on removing them etc.

runnervt Wed 23-Sep-09 21:31:19

I think this kind of thing is what you're supposed to use now.

abroadandmisunderstood Wed 23-Sep-09 21:37:41

Get the special tweezers and read the instructions carefully. DH removed a tick from me earlier this year but I got infected with Lymes disease. He didn't get a full grip the first time so it panicked and infected me.

BTW my DS1 has had two bites this year and has been fine.

Ooooh another very helpful hint is to record the date the tick was removed. Infection kicks in after about 10 days so keep checking the bite sites for redness with a white bullseye.

I live in Bavaria with deer plentiful in our woods. It is almost normal to get bitten in my town!!!

CybilLiberty Wed 23-Sep-09 23:01:01

Wow tick twister tweezers! will def keep an eye on it, he had one on his bum poor thing which went a bit nasty.

VoluptuaGoodshag Wed 23-Sep-09 23:08:19

My DH got a massive one this year. After trying and failing to get it out with tweezers he had to go to the local hospital to get the rest removed. The doc there said best thing to do first was to dab strong alcohol onto them. This relaxes them and makes it easier to get them out

kreecherlivesupstairs Thu 24-Sep-09 06:02:50

Not sure if it's worth mentioning, in Switzerland there is a vaccination against the encephalitis part of potential infections, obviously none available for lymes disease. DD has had two of the three with no pain or side effects.

MmeLindt Thu 24-Sep-09 06:27:03

If you are having problems getting them out then don't mess around, go the doc and have them remove it.

The problems are caused by parts of the tick being left in the skin, or the tick ejecting yucky stuff (apologies for the technical medical jargon)

I have a few friends in Germany who have been I'll after tick bites.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now