Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

flu jab - new criteria for asthmatics?

(6 Posts)
amtooyoungforthis Wed 23-Sep-09 12:54:31

Whole family used to get a flu jab for a number of reasons - asthma, carer, diabetic, disbled

Just had letter to say unless the asthmatic is using a brown inhaler or been hospitalised or has had oral steriods, they will not be entitled to a free flu jab

Anyone else? It doesn't give a timeline so am wondering if the mean hospitalised/steriods this year or in lifetime

Son's last hospital visit was 3 years ago but he has had many before that. He is just better and treating himself when he starts to get wheezy (rather than me seeing signs and treating) He is the only one who has the jab every year, the rest of us don't bother. He does have a brown inhaler but only uses it during viral infections, not daily

I think it's a bit off that these criteria have changed

AstronomyDomine Wed 23-Sep-09 15:45:02

I've just received my usual appointment letter that I get every year. No change.

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 23-Sep-09 16:50:35

I think I read somewhere that the criteria is if you are asthmatic and have required medication in the last 3 years. Could be wrong on that. dd and dh have both been given appts. We did have to phone and ask (as we do each year)

Milliways Wed 23-Sep-09 16:57:42

The official govt target for flu vaccinations only covers those on inhaled steroids etc (brown inhalers) - not just those on the "relievers". GPs get paid for vaccinating only those at risk, but can recover the cost of the vaccine given to anyone.

Our surgery used to let anyone who wanted a jab get one, but with the increased demand we have had to tighten up this year BUT we are letting ALL asthmatics have one as it is too complicated for those booking people in to work out what sort of asthma they have!

alypaly Wed 23-Sep-09 17:02:20

if you really cant get one ,go to a local pharmacy. Some of the pharmacists are trained by the doc to give them...they are £20

bubblerock Wed 23-Sep-09 17:07:52

No change here - DH got his annual letter last week, he will never have the jab though as he's needle phobic!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now