Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Milk WELL past its use-by date...help!

(14 Posts)
monkeysavingexpertdotcom Wed 23-Sep-09 08:03:15

Just noticed that the semi-skimmed milk that DCs (5 and 9) and DH drank yesterday - about a pint in all - had a use-by date of 14th September. I wouldn't normally drink milk more than a day past the use-by date. They said it tasted fine.
Really, really worried. Noone feels ill. Will they be ok? Couldn't find anything on the web really.

mwff Wed 23-Sep-09 08:04:37

um, tis pretty obvious when milk has gone off

FlamingoDuBeke Wed 23-Sep-09 08:06:27

They'll be fine - they will have spat it out if it had been sour. We didn't used to have use by dates and just went on what food looked and smelt like...I still do go on that with most things.

CybilLiberty Wed 23-Sep-09 08:07:47

Why so worried, are you vomit phobic?

FlamingoDuBeke Wed 23-Sep-09 08:11:29

Yes, and what Cybil said - it certainly won't kill them!

TheFoosa Wed 23-Sep-09 08:13:40

8 days out of date though? how could that not taste off, it would smell sour as soon as you poured it, unless it was that weird stuff

still, won't do any harm

monkeysavingexpertdotcom Wed 23-Sep-09 08:21:52

thanks, feel a bit more reassured now.
I know, you'd expect it to smell but I smelt it this morning and it didn't smell off. I think semi-skimmed can be a bit like that.

I'm not emetophobic but I do have quite a severe anxiety disorder, so I'm normally very vigilant about dates on food. I've no idea what it was still doing in the fridge, although DH and DDs normally drink full-fat and I don't drink much milk, so it doesn't get used often. I'm not worried about them being sick, more that they might get listeria or something!

FlamingoDuBeke Wed 23-Sep-09 08:24:00

Just because it was past it's use by date, doesn't actually mean it's off - food doesn't know what the little numbers written on it's packaging means!

I think listeria is not about off food, but an actual bacteria that is on food already. Why don't you look it up somewhere?

monkeysavingexpertdotcom Wed 23-Sep-09 08:25:12

Thanks Flamingo, did that, couldn't find anything much.

FlamingoDuBeke Wed 23-Sep-09 08:31:51

Don't know how reputable this is. I would say that if listeria were a real risk, there'd be more about it.

TheFoosa Wed 23-Sep-09 09:51:21

Milk is pasteurised so Listeria (or anything else) wouldn't be a risk (unless contaminated post-pasteurisation), although Listeria sp. does prefers cold temperatures for optimum growth

Rhian82 Wed 23-Sep-09 09:57:41

If milk's off, you can tell. It lasted longer than the farmer expected it to, that's all!

gagamama Wed 23-Sep-09 10:03:52

They would've noticed if it was badly off, if they were drinking it or putting it on cereal it would be lumpy and would taste and smell awful. If it was put into hot drinks it would curdle. If nobody noticed anything, I'm sure it was fine.

I find that milk generally only starts to spoil after it's been opened, perhaps if it was sat sealed in your fridge for a week before being used that is why it's been slow to go bad.

monkeysavingexpertdotcom Wed 23-Sep-09 23:10:00

Thank you all, have decided to stop worrying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now