Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone got any advice for a chesty cough that doesn't involve Tixylix???

(8 Posts)
nighbynight Tue 22-Sep-09 21:38:56

cos we are in Germany and cant get it. I havent found a good local cough medicine yet.

dd (5) has had a chesty cough for around 5 days since she had a bug last week. It keeps her awake at night and she is tired and ratty.
I am at a bit of a loss, as have always just dosed with cough syrup before.

2to3 Tue 22-Sep-09 21:55:39

We use one called Meltus which works, but obviously I have no idea if they do that in Germany. I sleep with mine when they cough so much it keeps them awake, because then I can turn them on their sides - that helps. Otherwise, how about warm milk with honey and cinnamon, as they did in the old days?

nighbynight Tue 22-Sep-09 22:01:48

I have a very small amount of Meltus left in the bottom of a bottle, I think. Was thinking it was a bit mild to do much good - it is the tiny baby one.

If I sleep next to dd, I will be blown across the roomsad

Is cinammon good for coughs?

pingapengin Tue 22-Sep-09 22:07:04

We use honey, spoon ful in warm water.

2to3 Tue 22-Sep-09 22:07:52

Don't know, but it makes it go down. And anything warm with honey is sure to be soothing and possibly a decongestant? And she'll think you're a lovely mummy.

nighbynight Tue 22-Sep-09 22:18:02

smile
thanks. Ill try honey tonight. She is coughing away upstairs, poor thing.

ShrimpOnTheBarbie Tue 22-Sep-09 22:21:12

Manuka honey. Took DD to the GP last week for a cough (viral bronchitis) and that and vicks were his recommendation.

nighbynight Wed 23-Sep-09 17:07:24

thats interesting, what is manuka honey?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now