Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can a baby's jaundice be caused by rhesus issues?

(5 Posts)
olivo Tue 22-Sep-09 08:25:42

Having just read a thread about rhesus issues, I am now in a bit of a panic and ggogling is not helping! my dd is 5weeks and still suffering from jaundice. she has been back to hospital for blood tests but i have heard nothing bac, so assume they are not worried and it is probably breastmilk jaundice.

But can jaundice be caused by rhesus issues? I am rhesus negative - was not offered propholactic anti-d but was given some post birth as DD is rhesus positive. Bu could our bloods have mixed and caused a problem for her?

any advice/info gratefully received!

Seona1973 Tue 22-Sep-09 08:37:29

yes, according to this it can cause jaundice.

Grumpyoldcaaaaaaaa Tue 22-Sep-09 08:52:18

DD3 was under phototherapy for 5 days when she was born due to jaundice caused by Blood Group Incompatability, I don't know if the Rhesus can cause the same?

Seona1973 Tue 22-Sep-09 12:58:57

my dd also had phototherapy after birth - I am Rh- and she was Rh+. I dont know whether the incompatibility caused the jaundice though.

olivo Tue 22-Sep-09 16:56:17

thanks. she has had it since a couple of days after birth, and had bilirubin tests two or three times. presumably, they would have told me if it was a blood group/ rhesus problem?
we weren't offered phototherapy at all. should i ask hv if i should be worried?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now