Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any contraceptive pills that don't have depression as a side effect?

(16 Posts)
NotMyselfTonight Mon 21-Sep-09 23:17:38

We haven't used any contraception since DD2 was born 3 years ago. We don't want to use condoms, I don't fancy the coil...nothing seems to be right for us/me. I am 41 and not planning to have anymore DC.
I had PND after she was born and am terrified of depression coming back in any shape or form.
Is there a pill that doesn't cause depression?

NotMyselfTonight Mon 21-Sep-09 23:24:49

please help
we havent really had sex for 3 years becuase of unresolved contraception problem

AstronomyDomine Mon 21-Sep-09 23:31:41

oh dear, 3 years! I'd have to say not IME... that's why I have the coil.

NotMyselfTonight Mon 21-Sep-09 23:50:02

Is it a coil which releases hormones? Don't coils give you really heavy periods?
I'm so ignorant about contraception, was on the pill for 14 yrs pre-DCs, then took about 3 yrs to conceive and used NFP during that time.

TokenFemale Mon 21-Sep-09 23:58:34

Can he have the snip if you don't want any more children?

NotMyselfTonight Tue 22-Sep-09 00:05:22

well he could but i dont think he would. i dont think he'd be able to cope with it pyschologically iyswim

AcademicMum Tue 22-Sep-09 00:14:01

The coil with the hormones gives really light/no periods after the 1st 6 months. Also given your age, they might be prepared to leave it alone till menopause. Apparently this seems to be what is recomended instead of sterilisation these days.

<<I'm no expert disclaimer>> smile

NotMyselfTonight Tue 22-Sep-09 00:23:25

you mean periods are heavy for first 6 months then light after that?
By 'leave it alone' do you mean they will leave the same coil in till menopause?
The coil is recommended as an alternative to sterilisation?

Sorry, feel a bit thick, i could just ask my GP but dont want to be fobbed off with pill.

Maybe family planning clinic would be best place to start for info?

TokenFemale Tue 22-Sep-09 00:24:07

So he'd rather see you suffer from depression NMT?

Talk to him about the options. Bet he'd rather have the snip than never have sex again ;)

NotMyselfTonight Tue 22-Sep-09 00:31:32

TF - It's rather complicated. We have some serious issues to work out which have been affecting the relationship for years. Contraception, or lack of, is just one of the reasons we dont have much sex. He had an affair and I have lost trust in him which, unsurprisingly, means I find it hard to have sex with him.
At first I consciously withheld sex. Now i think we need to heal the relationship but the withholding is so deeply ingrained that even tho i want to have sex with him, want a good sexual relationship with him, i somehow cant bring myself to be intimate with him.

We need counselling but cant afford it.

NotMyselfTonight Tue 22-Sep-09 00:32:34

also, i dont really want to say get the snip or no sex again, we're already suffering enough without throwing blackmail into the mix!

sandcastles Tue 22-Sep-09 04:30:09

Please be careful with which coil you choose. The Mirena can & does cause depression!

brettgirl2 Tue 22-Sep-09 09:03:22

Yes, I went to docs last week and she didn't want to fit mirena for that reason.

From my experience I felt great on Loestrin 20 but unfortunately it put my bp up angry

I'm going to get a normal coil don't particularly 'fancy' it but it's a means to an end!!!!

TokenFemale Tue 22-Sep-09 09:12:28

I wasn't suggesting blackmail NMT - just talking through all the options to avoid a pregnancy. And making him see that the snip isn't the worst thing that could happen.

Sorry to hear about his infidelity. I hope you manage to work things out.

AcademicMum Tue 22-Sep-09 10:14:56

TF, it seems that if you are over 40 they are often happy to leave the same coil in place until menopause, so even though it may be a bit invasive to get it in in the first place, I am under the impression that they don't need to take it out and replace it after 5-10 years (as they would with women in say their 20's). My GP told me also that they recommend the coil these days for women not planning further children as opposed to sterilisation because sterilisation still involves an operation (with associated risks).

AstronomyDomine Tue 22-Sep-09 12:52:20

I'm in my 40s and had my first coil (NOT the Mirena type) for 3 years then it had to be changed. My "new" coil was fitted about 3 years ago but is a new type and stays in for 5 years. I've not heard about the "leave in til menopause".

NMT - no my periods are not heavy although they now last a week instead of about 3 days. They're all tits up too... they're very light at the beginning then get heavier (but I never flood IYKWIM) and the cramps hit in the middle of the 7 days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now