Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Lazer eye treatment - Any one had it? Any opticians advise?

(2 Posts)
spikemomma Mon 21-Sep-09 20:40:30

Has anyone had it Does it work? Are there any side affects? Would you go for it? How much is it?

Lots of questions which i hope you might be able to answer. x

ChookKeeper Mon 21-Sep-09 21:00:08

Hi spikemomma I had Lasik Wavefront last October and have gone from a prescription of -5 to 20:20 vision. However this is with both eyes together, as they have left my right eye very slightly short sighed to delay the onset of needing reading glasses.

I can answer your questions but only wrt my own experience.

1. It worked for me (see above) and I'm glad I had it done.

2. The side effects I had are very common:

Very sensitive to light for the rest of the day after having the procedure.

Had to wear eyeshields in bed for a week (to stop eye rubbing in sleep).

No makeup for a week (and then I bought all new stuff to make sure it was clean).

Had to take seroid eye drops 3 or 4 times a day for first couple of weeks.

halos around car/street lights for some months afterwards.

Dry eyes for about 7 months (had to use artifical tears, especially when I was tired). This can be a long term problem if you already have dry eyes.

There are lots of things that can go wrong and you have to remember that it is a cosmetic procedure and you have to sign a really long (and quite frightening) disclaimer form before hand.

3. Mine cost £3k but I did negotiate them down from £3.5k.

The £350 per eye they quote on the TV ads is for those with such a small prescription that you wouldn't really need it TBH. I also paid for the flaps in my eyes to be cut with a laser rather than a blade as it gives a more even cut.

There are loads of forums where people post their expereinces if you look around.

I'd say have a few consultations with different companies to get a feel for them. Also find out how many procedures the surgeon has carried out of the type you are contemplating.

That's all I can think of for now but if you want to know about the actual procedure let me know and I'll give you the gory details grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now